Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match?

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
Which is best way for you to start an arc. Do you strike it like a match or tap it to get an arc started?

I do both. Sometimes there's room enough to strike it like a match (Which I find does a better job) at getting the arc started.

But other times I'm welding something that is in a cramped spot and I have to tap it. (Which sorta takes forever) to get it started it mostly wants to stick to the metal.

Chad

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #2  
If I have room striking like a match works best for me. Also dragging the
electrode works. Tapping I avoid if possible not always possible with
the weldment geometery.

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #3  
I use a MIG, lol. I suck at striking an arc. Part due to me, part due to my POS welder. I could never tap unless I have the power turned way up, otherwise it would stick so like a match for me most of the time.

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #4  
Chad,
The tapping method is what I primarily use....It takes practice. But it is also much easier when a machine has HOt start.

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #5  
DC - tap and go.
AC - strike like a match.

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #7  
It depends on the rod you are using and whether you are restarting a rod or using a fresh one. 7018 will not start by scratch method after welding with it, you have to tap it to break the flux. You can scratch it if you hold the rod very short to the end and scratch hard, but it is easier to tap. It will arc and freeze a lot of the time when you do this and you will have to pop it out of the holder and break it off.after it is cooled. There is an easier way, if you take your gloved hands and pop off the end coating where the electrode has burned back up inside the flux, you can then scratch strike it, but if the rod is hot, you are going to burn up a lot of leather doing that.
With 60xx rods, you should be able to scratch start them with AC or DC

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #8  
I think with every type of rod I use, if I set it down and it cools, I will nip off the end with a pair of side cutters. Makes restarting 100 times easier.

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #9  
Learned by using a tapping method. As stated before it is very difficult to start a partial rod with a scratch.
Before auto darkening helments you could use the tap to see if you are in the correct starting spot.:D

/ Striking an arc. Tapping or striking like a match? #10  
On 7018, it is best to scratch the end on a rough file before either tapping or scratching. "stop tapping like a chicken" is what Jody says over on Welding tips and tricks. Or the nipping method works too. My experience is scratching works best for me, with both hands, one on the stinger, and the other on the rod about 3 inches from the end, to control the long rod better, and give a harder scratch, also leave your (gloved) fingers on the rod to control it as you feed rod down, works for me. until the rod gets shorter and/or your fingers get hot:laughing: I have been doing better since I have started this, I have a hard time controlling a 14 inch rod with just one hand on the stinger. it;s like writing with a 14 inch ink pen. And putting your other hand on the stinger doesnt help much either. I have used tappin plenty of times when you cant scratch, due to space constraints, but it usually sticks for me. I guess more practice would help.
James K0UA