esab auto darkening helmet

/ esab auto darkening helmet #1  

bill ns

Bronze Member
Tractor
1970 ,276 International Harvester2008 dk 35 kioti, 1957 cockshutt540
I recently bought a second hand mig welder and some shop supplies from a guy ,as i was leaving he gave me a esab auto darking helmet eye tech 10/11. I can't get it to work i looked it up on the net but there was not much about that model . I have used other auto shields in the past they had a on off switch this doesn't seem to have one i left it in the light to charge it , i also tried striking a arc several times no luck the helmet is only a couple of years old and very lightly used help !!!

/ esab auto darkening helmet #2  
check and see if it has small watch typ battery.

/ esab auto darkening helmet #4  
I have a helmet that has a solar powered system. If I store the helmet under a welding coat it does not work. Leave in the sunlight for a while and it works. That said I got another helmet from a friend that didn't work. New battery and twisting on settings and it works fine for me. The battery powered one seems to work all the time while the other one sometimes does not turn on.

/ esab auto darkening helmet
Thanks guys for the replys the helmet is made by ESAB but there is very little info on their web site about this model .I have looked it all over there is no battery or any where to turn one on i am sure it is solor powered What i am thinking now maybe it has set around in a dark spot for so long it won't work i have set it out side all day in the sunlite and it still will not work is there a shelf life on solor batterys or panels the helmet is like new no damage . It is frustrating i am teaching my son in law to weld and these shields are so much better than the old style i use .

/ esab auto darkening helmet #6  
The ESAB hood is made for them by Optrel. If you have a Halogen lamp, You can set the hood under it for 24 hours. If that doesn't recharge it, You can do surgery on the lens cover and open it up and replace the batteries. Note that they are soldered in. Many people use dielectric grease and a drop of silicone to connect the wires back to the new batteries. Or buy a hood from HF for $49.00

/ esab auto darkening helmet
OK i will try the halogen lamp trick thanks