Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #1  

Slowtorque

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1782
I think I am comparing apples to apples here. I once had a MM210 that I really enjoyed but it was kinda large for my needs and could not be moved out into the field easily. Have never heard of the Everlast brand. How does this model Imig 200 compare to the Millermatic 180. I have 230v power in my shop and will be using fluxcore wire primarily and may also buy another tank (wish I had kept the one I had). Many thanks for the input. Oh, my use of the welder will be general repairs on mild steel and some light fabrication of same.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #2  
I don't know anything about the IMIG, but the Millermatic 180 has an odd automatic heat range/wire speed control that can sometimes be frustrating to deal with.

I bought my MIG welder about six years ago and thought that I just HAD to have a 180 as opposed to a lighter unit to use only on sheet metal. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a 120 with gas to use only on sheet metal. I have never become comfortable using a MIG on heavier material. Stick welding makes for better penetration and thus a stronger weld on heavier material.

I have a tombstone that I've had for 24 years and the MIG I've had for six. I use the MIG with gas only on sheet metal work and the tombstone for everything else. You can get a stick welder cheap and I believe you would find it to be much more useful and versatile.

Those are just my opinions and I'm not trying to force them on you, but since you are at the point of buying a welder I offered them in hopes that you will find them of some use.

Best of luck with your decision.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #3  
Well you are comparing apples and crabapples at least.
The 180 compares more to our 160 I-MIG.

The IMIG-200 would compare more in line with the 212 on performance, but more in line with the 211 on size, though the 200 is physically smaller still than both and lighter than either but same wire capacity .

But I will be glad to make the comparison for you.

Duty cycle: Miller180: 35% at 135 amps;Everlast 200 35%@ 160 amps
Power Range: Miller 180: 30-180; Everlast 200: 30-200
Weight: Miller 180 70 lbs; Everlast 200 35
Type: Miller 180 transformer; Everlast200 Inverter
Inductance control: Miller 180 NO; Everlast 200 YES
Digital Control/Readout: Miller 180 NO; Everlast 200 YES
WireFeed: Miller 180 plastic components and some steel; Everlast 200 Cast Aluminum and steel
Spool Gun ready: Miller 180 Yes. Everlast 200 YES
Gun Connection: Miller 180 Proprietary internal connection;Everlast Common external Euro Style quick connect
Gun Type: Miller 180 M100 10ft; Everlast 200 High Quality Abicor Binzel MB15AK 10ft
STICK Weld: Miller 180 NO; Everlast200 Yes, 165 amps.
Standard wire size: Miller 180 .023-035; Everlast 200 .030-.045
Spool Diameter: Miller 180 4 and 8"; Everlast 200 4" and 8"
Polarity change: Miller 180 Internal change; Everlast 200 quick change external

There are more comparisons/differences but usually these are all that people appreciate knowing.

I am inserting a link for a brochure for the I-MIG 200. It will spell out all the details about the machine. http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Brouchers/Power-I-MIG-200.pdf

Right now we have 15% off our 200 I-MIG. If you are interested or have any questions give me a call directly at 877-755-9353 EXT 204

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200
Mark, thanks very much for the info. I spent some time on your website, and that PowerArc 200 is intriguing as well. I have never done any stick welding, kind of intimidated by it.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #5  
Mark, thanks very much for the info. I spent some time on your website, and that PowerArc 200 is intriguing as well. I have never done any stick welding, kind of intimidated by it.

What I read there about the IMIG was quite impressive. As I said, the Millermatic has a strange automatic setting that might not work well for everybody anyway.

I totally understand someone being intimidated by a stick welder, but if you would get some scrap and burn some rod, with a little practice, you would find it to be easy to master on heavy material. As material and rod gets thinner, stick welding takes more and more practice.

Good luck with your decision.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #6  

I have its little brother the PA160 and I really like it. for 1/8 on up to 1/2 it is the ticket. Of course stick welding for less than 1/8 gets harder and harder for thinner you go. But with proper prep and good rod, you can make some nice welds with this little unit. But for welding on thicker materials where it really counts, I dont think you can beat stick for good solid welds for low amounts of money invested.
James K0UA

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #7  
I've got a 180 Miller, used to have a 135 Miller. Other than the spoolgun for aluminum (came with mine), I think I liked the 135 better. The 180 was free, so I wasn't about to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Up to about 1/8 stock, the Miller is great, very smooth. I have more spatter than I'd like above 1/8 material, but that may be the wire I'm using also.

The 180 doesn't like running off my generator, poor weld quality in my opinion. The 135 never missed a beat, there must be something different in the circuitry. The Auto-Set feature works well, you simply select the wire size you're using, adjust for material thickness, and squeeze the trigger. I've played with the manual settings (both are available) and really couldn't improve much on the Auto-Set.

As for portability... well, it weighs over 70 pounds, which is a handful in my opinion. The inverter technology is a real plus if you're planning on taking it with you much.

If you're looking at Miller, I'd suggest you consider one that has the MVP plug and can be run on both 120 and 230 power. They also sell inverter models, (Passport maybe?), but the duty cycle is lower if that's a concern.

This was welded with the 180, 1/4 plate to 5/16 plate in one pass.
DSC00601.jpg

In all honesty, if it holds up well, I suspect the Everlast is as good a welder as the Miller, possibly better in some respects. I've got Blue blood in my veins, so that's about as good as it gets from me. One other thing, check where they're made if it makes a difference to you. I buy North American made if I can if the quality is the same, but there's a Honda in my driveway...

Sean

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #8  
There's nothing odd about the Millermatic 180 Auto Set feature. It works very well and I use it all the time. If you don't want to use that feature don't turn the knob to "Auto" and set voltage and speed to whatever settings you desire. For me, it's handy as heck. I just figure the gauge of the metal I'm welding and the machine is usually right on the money.

Having designed inverter power supplies in the past I can tell you that the high speed switching semi-conductors (IGBT's) used in inverter welders are much more prone to failure as is any semiconductor device than say, a large transformer. The sophisticated push pull circuitry of an inverter circuit working at high voltages and frequencies requires a very delicate balancing act between the control circuits and the output stages. Any little bit of timing gets off (capacitor drift, etc.) and phase angles come into play and before you know it the thing goes up in smoke.

Google "inverter schematics" and you'll see a host of people looking to fix their welders on their own rather than paying top dollar to have an electronics technician fix it for them.

It's easy to compare Everlast to Miller in a list but without seeing them side by side and using them you can't make the judgment. Miller is pretty expensive but you usually get what you pay for. Visit the welding forums to get a better picture of any comparison.

My two cents.

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #9  
Having designed inverter power supplies in the past I can tell you that the high speed switching semi-conductors (IGBT's) used in inverter welders are much more prone to failure as is any semiconductor device than say, a large transformer. The sophisticated push pull circuitry of an inverter circuit working at high voltages and frequencies requires a very delicate balancing act between the control circuits and the output stages. Any little bit of timing gets off (capacitor drift, etc.) and phase angles come into play and before you know it the thing goes up in smoke.

Google "inverter schematics" and you'll see a host of people looking to fix their welders on their own rather than paying top dollar to have an electronics technician fix it for them.

I am a sales engineer. and this is what we call FUD Fear, Uncertainey and Doubt. We like to "stir" that up to make people think that product A might have some problems.. We dont care if product A does or does not for a fact have those problems, we just "throw" that out there in general terms. So the audience will say to themselves, "better play it safe and choose the proven technology". Whether the poster had any intentions to do so or not does not matter, what matters is now there is doubt that Everlast machines are "any good" or "reliable" and better stick with Miller. Never mind that Miller machines are also going to the same Inverter technology and will have the same failures. The damage has been done. Better not buy into the "new fangled" machines. I have said and done the same things, and had it done to me on a daily basis..
James K0UA

/ Millermatic 180 vs I-mig 200 #10  
I am considering the Miller 211 vs the I-Mig 200, both have their + and -, still undecided. I like some of the features of the I-Mig, light weight and ability to do stick or MIG. I like the flexibility of the dual input voltage on the 211 and the comfort of being able to drive 10 miles down the road where I have a Miller service center if I ever need repairs. I am a bit apprehensive about having to pack up and ship the I-Mig out if I ever need repairs. Everything I have read from folks who have actually used the machines, both do a very good job. Although Marks' comment about 15% off at the moment on the I-Mig is making that more tempting.