Mig flux core wire

/ Mig flux core wire #1  

SARG

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1030- NH T1530 - 49G Brockway
A question for the experienced folks........ I just ordered the super cheap mig welder and helmet from Harbor Freight and noted that there were numerous complaints on the supplied wire. Most stated that Lincoln flux core wire was the stuff to use.

Is the Hobart brand flux-core wire of decent quality ?

/ Mig flux core wire #3  
I have literally run tons of Hobart's 21-B. It is amazing how much ductility that wire has. When it comes to gas less flux core it is my first choice! Second choice would be Lincoln's NR-212.

Attachments

• 3 pass.jpg
    3 pass.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 1,716
  • NR-212.JPG
    NR-212.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 613
   / Mig flux core wire #4  
As stated the HF wire is crap. I've run best with the lincoln wire and my second choice is the hobart wire. Main complaint of the hobart over the Lincoln is more splatter and smoke. For me the lincoln welds a bit smoother but either works really well. I've also go a HF 90 amp wire feed (plus other brands) and I do like using it for outside work on smaller projects. For the larger outside stuff I use my Miller bobcat 225nt stick.

/ Mig flux core wire #5  
for flux core all i've used has been the lincoln 0.035 nr-211. i recently changed welders and have been using gas with some hobart 0.030 solid wire. i went to a local independent shop and they sold washington alloy wire. it seems to lay down a little smoother than the hobart wire with my miller 211. that, plus the fact that it's $25 for an 11lb spool doesn't hurt either. if i need more flux core i'll probably try the washington alloy for that too.

/ Mig flux core wire
That brings up another question............ am I correct in assuming the cheap flux core welders only handle the 2 lb. spools ?

And ... is the .035 size wire better than the .030 ...... or is the difference not of importance to a novice welder?

/ Mig flux core wire #7  
is the spindle that the spool goes on is about 3/4", then it's set up for 1-2lb spools. if it has an adapter that goes up to about 2" diameter, then it will take 10-12lb spools. the 10-12lb spools are 8" diameter, so you should be able to tell whether you can fit that size spool in the welder.

/ Mig flux core wire #8  
Ironically , Last Time I bought a 10# spool for my Lincoln SP135 , The Harbor Freight Flux core .035 was around $ 60 + , Yet the Lincoln wire , same size and type at Home Depot was $ 44 .:confused:

Go figure that Name Brand cheaper than Generic .

Fred H.

/ Mig flux core wire #9  
That brings up another question............ am I correct in assuming the cheap flux core welders only handle the 2 lb. spools ?

Mine is a Campbell Hausfeld from Home Depot, 85amp welder, and it accepts at least 10lb spools, easily. Not sure about the HF models. Have you looked at the owners manual? It ought to say in there.

/ Mig flux core wire #10  
Cheap flux core welders accepting 10# spools? Not necessarily. My HF unit only accepts 2# spools....yet.