Mardens Find

/ Mardens Find #1  

lostcause

Platinum Member
for those of you up here in the far northeast who know what mardens is, here's a deal i came across today:

i was in waterville and had a few minutes to kill between other appointments. they had a handful of stuff in there with valley national gases tags on them. i saw some auto-darkening miller welding hoods and some old school no-name hoods. the miller ones were the ones that retail for about $350, but they both appeared used already from the scratches on the lenses. these weren't casual ones - they were the ones caused by repeatedly wiping the lens with a dirty glove. there were also some gloves and a few other odds & ends, but the one thing that did stand out was some 1lb welding wire spools.

i found 1lb aluminum welding wire spools in 0.025, 0.030, 0.035, and 3/64. there was only one each of the 0.030 and 0.035 (which i grabbed). there were more of the 0.025 and 3/64 spools though. i'm not sure if it was only the waterville store with these, or whether they were distributed to some of the other stores too, but the price was $3.19 a spool, which is about 1/3 of what they normally cost. i'm guessing these were acquired through a fire? maybe an advantage gases store around here? one of the spools didn't have the complete plastic wrap on it, and there were traces of soot on it. still, a great deal at $3.19 a spool.

/ Mardens Find #2  
When I saw the title of your thread I knew where you were writing from. Those hoods could be just fine even tho the protective plastic is scratched up.

A few years ago I bought 100ft of welding lead in 1/0 size at the Bangor store. It was not quite as great of a deal but a good price non the less.

/ Mardens Find #3  
Hijack!!! I was in the bangor store the other day, and saw Billy Mays' face, on a package with an armband infused with magnets. for $2.99, I got an armband which would hold all my pipe straps, bits, and screws for an entire project!!! I couldn't resist! (works great, by the way)

/ Mardens Find #4  
I work in Bangor and live 25 miles from Waterville i go to both quite often bought some kind of loud but warm ( day glow Green with leather palms )and comfortable glove for working in the woods this winter.Cut 7 coard of fire wood with the first pair no rips or cold hands $3.99 per pair.

/ Mardens Find #5  
You guys are doing better than me, I never find anything too useful in that store. I always hear about the 'steals' but never seem to find em.