Welding in the rain!

/ Welding in the rain! #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Went to my brothers shop to drop off sandblasting equipment so it would not get wet, on the way I saw a welder on a trailer and other stuff associated with a small job, but no one standing around. I thought to myself, "guess their day is over" since it was a light rain.

Coming back home, it was raining much heavier. I was approaching the little work site again and saw the flashes of the arch! They was "a welding in the rain"!

I don't know about you guy's, but I have been "sapped" with just barely damp ground, I'll be darned if weld in the rain. Don't think my heart could take it and sure don't recommend it.

/ Welding in the rain!
Spent just about my whole career doing it. ;)

Must be a wet climate where your from:D and your probably a more experience welder than most I am assuming. Still not a good idea for me anyway. I can wait.

Did have an older friend that went into the big pipeline welding rush in the late 70's-80's after 5 years of underwater welding ( Seems you can only do it for so long), pretty sharp fella when it came to a stick, I was his helper years ago, when the ground got wet, we packed the SA200 up.

/ Welding in the rain! #4  
If you want to make a living here on the east slope of the Olympic Mountains you better get use to welding in the rain. When doing critical welding they always build you a tent, or at least give you a roll of visqueen! :laughing:

/ Welding in the rain! #5  
my buddy is an underwater salvage welder / diver.

soundguy

/ Welding in the rain! #6  
I still have scars on my arm from this at Grace corp. from raincoat melting..Only had to stick a few brackets..

/ Welding in the rain! #7  
I've done it and got a little tingle, course I had set down on the project I was welding :eek:

/ Welding in the rain! #8  
shieldarc is right.
If you're going to make a living at it, you're going to learn how to weld in adverse conditions.

Rubber gloves help, but I hated wearing them, so I just kept a few spare pairs of gloves and made sure I had dry ones on.

/ Welding in the rain! #9  
Imagine what natural gas pipeline welders do I have seen those guys laying on their back in a hole under a big pipe and in the rain with flames shooting out of the pipe they are welding its some crazy stuff they WANT the flames no explosion that way! Not me man

/ Welding in the rain! #10  
Imagine what natural gas pipeline welders do I have seen those guys laying on their back in a hole under a big pipe and in the rain with flames shooting out of the pipe they are welding its some crazy stuff they WANT the flames no explosion that way! Not me man

Yep. I did that for 20 years.

As long as it's burning, you're okay.