how to straighten out warped steel bar?

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar?
This is great, Shield Arc.....I'm going to do that over the weekend.....(weekend welder!). I'll post re the results! That way, if it works, you're the genius.....and if it doesn't, I'm still just the newbie hacking away.....either way, you're golden! Thanks!!

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #12  
No, no genius here. Someone taught me too.;)

This will be fun for you. Flat bar is easy, square tube, angle iron, C-channel and pipe are fun also. Thin plate will make you pull your hair out!:laughing:

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #13  
CT I learned this skill over 30-years ago. If you're into books, this is one of the best books I've seen for heat shrinking. This guy really knows the business, but like me, he lacks, (or doesn't print it) the skills to straighten plate. Old school body & fender men are the best I've seen at straighting large thin panels.

Attachments

• Heat Shrink.jpg
    Heat Shrink.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 648
   / how to straighten out warped steel bar? #14  
Set it on your propane barbecue. :thumbsup:

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #15  
You don't even need heat to straighten that flat bar. All you need is two pieces of railroad rail or equivlent and a 8 lb. hammer. Find an old bent wood hand saw to practice straightning thin material. When you've mastered that you'll be pretty good.

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #16  
I agree that should be a pretty easy fix. Flip upside down between two blocks of wood and slowly put down pressure on it using your loader bucket. Put another piece of wood in the middle to act as a stop so you don't over bend it. You'll have to bend it a little beyond straight so when it snaps back it will be straight. Also instead of painting it consider using an exterior grade polyurethane for metal. I use that on my bucket and I can't wear the stuff away. Holds up MUCH better than paint.:thumbsup:

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #17  
Heat: as noted. But there are many sources of heat. If you get a weed burner torch and hook it up to your propane grill tank, you will have a lot more BTUs than any small hand held propane torch for example. You get more heat with hotter burning chemicals (like Oxy/Acetylene) or with more gas used (bigger torch).

Bending: You will have to push it a LOT more than "just past flat" to straighten it this way. The elastic zone of steel is big and this is a pretty flexible item, so spring back will be significant.

My 2 cents: Get a bigger torch and try the heat.

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #18  
My 2 cents: Get a bigger torch and try the heat.

I second this suggestion as a Bernz-O-Matic propane or MAPP plumber's torch isn't big enough to get enough heat to do the job. A rosebud tip on an Oxy/Acetylene torch would be more suited for the task at hand.

However; I'll be curious to see how the MIG technique works. I just don't envy you grinding welds.

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #19  
If you have no other way to heat and wish to use the MIG, then try to put about the same amount of weld metal on the back side in exactly the same spot as it is on the opposite side and it should straighten out. Grinding off the metal wont be pleasant though. You need to get a localized heat about the width of the HAZ from the weld (the blue tinted area) and it needs to be at least a dull cherry red to get any amount of metal shrinkage. Anything below about 900F is not going to shrink the metal, It will make it easier to bend which may also be an option. If all you have is a propane torch, heat it with that as hot as you can get it, then hammer it straight by blocking each side and whacking it with a sledge hammer. Just dont over do the bending. I just dont think I would do the weld metal grind off trip if it fits as it is. A little tension in the middle will keep it tight against your FEL bucket lip. Wait till you have the opportunity to use an oxyfuel torch and then it will be simple fix as ShieldArc has written.

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #20  
Sounds like perfect justification to buy an oxy/acetylene torch.....you know you want it....if you do much metal work you will eventually buy one anyway;)