how to straighten out warped steel bar?

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #1  

CT Jay

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Guys...

I'm new to welding. Just made my first project. Built a toothbar for my SCUT (Kubota BX25).

The welds are probably the ugliest welds anyone would ever want to see....but the thing is solid, and for something that I'm going to ram into the ground, I'm not disappointed that it isn't a work of art.....and I did learn a lot.

My next step is to prime and paint it.....but first I want to straighten out the bar, which warped considerably as I was doing the welding. It's 3/8" mild steel.

I've searched the forum looking for info on straightening out warped steel, but mostly what I found was info on how to prevent it, and not how to correct for the mistakes and bad procedures that, as a newbie welder, I fell into.

Attached are a few pics.

Can anyone advise me how to straighten this thing out?

Despite the bow, it goes on the loader and fits perfectly...at least I got that part right....but instead of slipping on nice and easy, I have to smack it on with a heavy hammer until it's in place.....and to remove it, I have to lift and dump the bucket pretty vigorously until it falls off, more from the weight of the thing, I suppose, than from any loosening of the fit.

I tried heating the bottom underneath all the places where I welded the shanks on top....but I got nowhere other than getting the bar hot to the touch. I used a propane torch for quite a while, but I suspect it's not strong enough. I was thinking of using a map torch instead, for more heat, but I'm not sure if that would be enough, either.

I tried bending it by pushing the tractor's loader full weight onto the bar, with the bar perpendicular to the bucket and the ends of the bar up on bricks, and while my tractor isn't heavy, being only an SCUT, I still lifted the front wheels off the ground, hoping the bar would straighten from the weight, but all it did was flex and then return to prior state once I removed the weight.

Any thoughts? I figure there's a lot of tricks that you experienced pro welders might offer to a rank amateur like me....and I've since read up on how to prevent this next time, or at least try not to let it happen again!

Thanks!

Attachments

• CIMG1309x.JPG
    CIMG1309x.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 983
  • CIMG1314x.JPG
    CIMG1314x.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 2,782
  • CIMG1316x.JPG
    CIMG1316x.JPG
    549.8 KB · Views: 1,178
   / how to straighten out warped steel bar? #2  
If it fits properly, can you tighten the bolts down to the bucket and flatten it?

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar?
Sure.....easily tightens down flat....I drilled 2 holes to keep it from sliding off, one on each end, for 1/2" grade 8 bolts, 1" length.....and drilled the bottom of the loader to match...and once I torque it down, it's then flat & tight.....but once I remove the bolts, it springs back to its original bow.

So, it works and all that and it's not like I can't use the thing....but it annoys me, after coming this far with it, that it doesn't just slip on, and instead I have to pound it on.

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #4  
This is a simple fix! Just reverse procedure. For something this small I would use the cutting head on my torch. Heat where I marked the red lines. Start in the center, and work your way out to the end. On something this small I like to use a spray bottle of water to cool the heated zone. Bigger items I use the garden hose. :laughing:

Attachments

• tooth bar.JPG
    tooth bar.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,501
   / how to straighten out warped steel bar? #5  
but it annoys me, after coming this far with it, that it doesn't just slip on, and instead I have to pound it on.

CT this skill is what separates the hacks from the professionals!;)

To clarify....

Once I've pounded the thing on, the gaps in the shanks hold it nice & flat on the loader, and the bolts are just to keep it from sliding around when I dig. Once I remove the bolts, it's still flat as long as it's on the loader.....but once it's off the loader, the warp is still there.

Hey, Shield...

Don't I know that!! Everything looks easy until you try it! Gotta learn, though, and can't learn it unless I try it.

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #8  
If you have any questions on heat shrinking that bar, (post #4) ask away.

Shield...

Problem is, I have a mig welder.....and only way I can generate a lotta heat on the bar is to weld some mig wire onto those spots, until it heats everything up enough and takes the bend out........but then I'd have to grind off those welds to get a flat bottom again.....but thinking about it, the grinder will generate more heat, and maybe this is a roundabout way of doing the job?

/ how to straighten out warped steel bar? #10  
Your Mig welder will work too. Just more work grinding off the welds. Weld on the backside of one tooth, grind it down, spray a little water on it. When the zone is cool to the touch, stand back and look at the results. If good enough move on to the next tooth.
This is really simple stuff! ;)