Diff. between "Cold Finish" & "Hot Rolled" steel?

/ Diff. between "Cold Finish" & "Hot Rolled" steel?
I only have limited experience with my PHD, but it seems to me that you have to move the tractor a little as the auger goes down or it'll drill crooked every time because of the geometry. Maybe attach a level onto the pipe..

Yeah, I've been doing that - Put my tractor in Low range & Turtle so I can creep forward as it goes down.

2 things: First, the PHD's side-to-side play lets the auger go surprisingly far off line. Second, the PHD's gearbox is hinged, so you might start with the auger perfectly plumb, but if it hits some limerock or a root, the hinge allows the auger to deflect & start drilling at an angle forward toward the tractor or backward away from the tractor.

If it's a big, hard rock, well we're probably not going to defeat that; But if it's limerock or a not-too-big root, my dad's weight riding on the bar, or him pulling it to the side, can overcome those. Fighting like that is still better than diggin' with post hole diggers :)

/ Diff. between "Cold Finish" & "Hot Rolled" steel? #22  
i rented a bobcat with an auger a couple years ago... it took a little bit to get used to, but once i did, it worked very well for fence post holes.

also works good for getting stumps out because you can control the angle and direction of the auger a long ways off plumb in any direction. just fluff things up around the roots and then put the bucket back on and push it over.

i really don't think i would ever buy an auger attachment for my tractor knowing what i now know about the skid steer option.

/ Diff. between "Cold Finish" & "Hot Rolled" steel? #23  
i really don't think i would ever buy an auger attachment for my tractor knowing what i now know about the skid steer option.

I hear ya there... reversable, hydraulic, do they even need a shear bolt?

but back to the pipe ?, you could get 2 or 3 sizes of pipe that telescope down to the 3/4 size and weld them up to have a stronger lever..

/ Diff. between "Cold Finish" & "Hot Rolled" steel? #24  
ive drilled many a hole with my 3 pt PHD over the years. there is no secret way to do it. i always have to creep forward or back. best to have a spotter. i dont want someone hanging onto a bar...its just too dangerous.

i am in the process of adding a hydraulic power down unit to my Speeco post hole digger....im hoping that this will help me with my holes. i usually have to drill, then pry rocks, then drill thru the first 10-12", then the holes go right in, no problem.

hopefully this will speed up the process.

Attachments

• phd.jpg
    phd.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 118