Mig welding Aluminium

/ Mig welding Aluminium #1  

woodsmith

Bronze Member
I have a Cebora Boxer 155 MIG welder and I have been thinking of adding a cheap spool gun, aluminium wire and a mini bottle of Argon to weld some 2-3mm sheet.

I have found this spool gun on ebay and it would be cheap enough to play with to find out if it is worth getting something better.

Would my welder be powerful enough for the job?

I am only thinking of welding folded edges and adding tabs for fixings so nothing too thick or heavy.

Thank you.

/ Mig welding Aluminium #3  
Myself, I'm not a big fan of MIG on Alum for small stuff.......my choice is TIG all the way, unless it's big heavy alum and a much much bigger welder set up properly......

/ Mig welding Aluminium
Myself, I'm not a big fan of MIG on Alum for small stuff.......my choice is TIG all the way, unless it's big heavy alum and a much much bigger welder set up properly......
I'd prefer TIG but I only want to do some little bits very infrequently and it wouldn't be worth the set up.

If this can work then it will just save the need for the occasional unsightly pop rivet just where I can't hide it.

/ Mig welding Aluminium
I don't know.
What's the best way to measure the voltage?

There's no specifications plate on it as I got it used and I haven't managed to fins any specifications for it online.

/ Mig welding Aluminium
I have equipment to measure AC and DC up to 600Amps.

Am I measuring open circuit voltage across the live tip and the clamp?