rod price go up recently?

/ rod price go up recently? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I just depleted my 6011 1/8 rod stockpile and went to get a 5# box to finish a project. 24$ yikes? Admittedly I havn't bought rod since last year.. but I don't recall it being 5$/# ???

soundguy

/ rod price go up recently? #2  
It's not, buy it by the 50lb. Should be a little over $2.00 a pound. ;)

/ rod price go up recently? #3  
that seems a bit excessive. i bought some lincoln excalibur 7018 (1/8") for less than $3/lb last week from the LWS in a 10lb can. it was actually cheaper than home depot in 5lb boxes....i was surprised. i usually buy hobart rod at TSC, but i bought lincoln rod b/c i was at the LWS for work, and i like shopping on the clock

/ rod price go up recently? #4  
Welding rods have always been under fifty dollars a box at TSC, and they still are.
The 50# boxes have become 25# boxes for the same low price per box.

And they say the economy will get better....

/ rod price go up recently?
It's not, buy it by the 50lb. Should be a little over $2.00 a pound. ;)

since I want dry rod, and 50# would last me 5 years.. I don't buy it by the semi-truck load. I'm just a hobby-shop-farmer.. not a battleship foundry.

5# box is good for me at a time.. that way i can get about 2 a year of each size and it don't set around too long. I have sealed containers for storage.. but still.. 50# would be wet and rusty by the time I used it all iup.

rod I saw was hobart at TSC..

10# would be the largest I would consider purchasing.

will check another few stores this week on 5# box price. napa, car quest and the local tool store cary rod. so does the gas dealer in the next town.

soundguy

/ rod price go up recently? #6  
Kills me. TSC, Home Depot ? Try a Welding Supply Distributor...Choose between several brands and prices..They will wheel and deal on price and you will get better rods for your money. Check it out..

/ rod price go up recently?
got a gas dealer next town over I can check.. otherwise it's the box stores selling mostly hobart or lincoln.. plus napa and car quest. 1 tool store also sells some as they have low end welders.. etc..

soundguy

/ rod price go up recently? #8  
I don't weld much anymore so my last 50 lbs of 6011 lasted me at least 5 or 6 years. I keep mine in an old cooler that the lid seals really tight and I don't have any problems with the rods lasting a long time. I think if they last that long in Florida's humidity they will last that long anywhere.
I bought another 50 lbs. of 1/8" 6011 a couple of months ago to build my box blade and they were just a little over $2 a pound at a welding supply. The bad news is that now that I have a tractor I am going through a lot more rods making stuff for it. :laughing:

/ rod price go up recently? #9  
I have been welding up critters all winter long, and was using 7018 AC 3/32". I have lots of 1/8" and 5/32"...but was using up the little stuff for the critters. I ran out and just bought four 5 pound packs [ 20 pounds ] of Lincoln 7018 AC 3/32" from Welding Supplies and Welding Equipment by Welding Supply Company of Louisville, Inc. for $51.60 including UPS shipping. They are shipping orders over $50 for free. I bought 10 pounds of Hobart 7018 DCEP/AC [ $24.99 plus tax ] at TSC and didn't like how hard it was to restart on my buzz box. Anyway, check around....

/ rod price go up recently? #10  
right, left, right, left.....PLATOON ... HALT..!!!! LEFT ... FACE..!!!!

PARADE....REST !!!!

At ease men......let out your tongues and pant if you got them.....