Lincoln MIG-Pak 180

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #1  

dmay

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 JD2320
Welding advice for someone just starting out. Last time I welded was over 30 years ago so I decided to sign up and take a MIG welding course which starts in 2 weeks.

I have a 6.5 acre horse property. JD 2320. I'd like to weld on a receiver hitch tube and hooks onto my bucket. Build/repair/customize 3pt attachments. Repair steel horse gates. I've got 230V available in both garage and barn.

Is a Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 a good choice for general CUT & small acreage welding needs?

Locally Canadian Tire has a sale on till March 30, 2011 offering a Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 bundle for $619.99. The price seems very good.

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #2  
Well....... I've got the equivalent Miller unit. I consider myself a do-it-yourselfer, most definitely NOT a pro welder or fabricator. I'm 110% happy with my unit. It has welded everything from a home made backhoe subframe to bucket hooks. I think that welder should do most 'average' projects.

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #3  
I have the same 180 Mig Pak from Canadian Tire. It has done all that I have needed thus far. I am no expert but I am happy with it. After I purchased mine I noticed the local Lincoln Welding shop had the Mig Pak 180C for $727.00. The 180C (continuous) is supposed to be a commercial grade machine while the 180T (tap) are for home/farm use.

Last edited:
   / Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #4  
If the one you are talking about looks like the one I have in the pics, I would say go for it. I have only used the flux cored wire with it, and it does great. I don"t have a shop where I can weld inside so it works great for me. I do all kinds of welding at work, but this one works great for me. zman :thumbsup:

Attachments

• mig welder 001.jpg
    mig welder 001.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 2,252
  • mig welder 002.jpg
    mig welder 002.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 6,638
   / Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #5  
I just didn't like the idea of the tap settings but it probably won't make a difference for the beginner.

i didn't want to limit myself so I went with the miller 211 but no real experience with it yet. So far just practicing on scrap pieces. i love the autoset, for a beginner this is a must so you don,t get frustrated to quickly.

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180
i didn't want to limit myself so I went with the miller 211 ...

The Miller 211 is almost double the cost at $1092.50 vs. $619.99. Worth it?

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #7  
That sounds expensive for the Miller 211... I just got a quote on one from Praxair here in Dartmouth, NS for $982 plus taxes.

The biggest advantage to the Miller over the Lincoln is the MVP power plug, it enables you to use 110v or 220v power depending on the material thickness and the power available.

You also have "stepless" voltage control, not taps, and the Autoset feature is really nice for a new operator, or even an experienced one. I've been welding for a few years, and my Miller 180 stays set on the auto setting all the time now. I was skeptical at first, but it makes a believer out of you.

If you have any chance of wanting to weld aluminum, check to see if you can add a spool gun to the CTC version of the Lincoln, I don't know if all of the different models will accept one. I know for a fact the Miller 211 has that option available, as does the Miller 180. All you do is add a switch kit that came with mine in the box, buy the spool gun and pure argon gas and you're ready to weld aluminum. I don't weld a lot of aluminum, but when I have to I can.

I find the Lincolns confusing, they make so many different versions for re-sale by box stores that it's hard to compare across the board.

For the difference in price I'd shop a little more, at least until the sale is almost over. Another option if you're pressed for time is to buy the Lincoln, don't use it right away, and keep shopping. You can always return it if you find a better deal or a machine you like better.

The Lincoln is a good machine for that price, but limits your options somewhat. I've been considering selling my 180 Miller and getting a 211, just for the 110v option. I used to have a Miller 135, really liked the way it worked.

Good luck !

Sean

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #8  
I'd think saving $400-$500 plus taxes would be a good reason to go with the Lincoln. Miller has the nice autoset, but think of what you can add to your setup with $500. You can add a cart, aluminum spool gun, helmet, tank and the steel for your first project.:D

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #9  
That sounds expensive for the Miller 211... I just got a quote on one from Praxair here in Dartmouth, NS for $982 plus taxes.

The biggest advantage to the Miller over the Lincoln is the MVP power plug, it enables you to use 110v or 220v power depending on the material thickness and the power available.

You also have "stepless" voltage control, not taps, and the Autoset feature is really nice for a new operator, or even an experienced one. I've been welding for a few years, and my Miller 180 stays set on the auto setting all the time now. I was skeptical at first, but it makes a believer out of you.

If you have any chance of wanting to weld aluminum, check to see if you can add a spool gun to the CTC version of the Lincoln, I don't know if all of the different models will accept one. I know for a fact the Miller 211 has that option available, as does the Miller 180. All you do is add a switch kit that came with mine in the box, buy the spool gun and pure argon gas and you're ready to weld aluminum. I don't weld a lot of aluminum, but when I have to I can.

I find the Lincolns confusing, they make so many different versions for re-sale by box stores that it's hard to compare across the board.

For the difference in price I'd shop a little more, at least until the sale is almost over. Another option if you're pressed for time is to buy the Lincoln, don't use it right away, and keep shopping. You can always return it if you find a better deal or a machine you like better.

The Lincoln is a good machine for that price, but limits your options somewhat. I've been considering selling my 180 Miller and getting a 211, just for the 110v option. I used to have a Miller 135, really liked the way it worked.

Good luck !

Sean

Your not comparing apples to apples. The miller 211 is closer to the 180C. C is continuios and not a tap machine. And the C is about 300$ U.S. more. All machines have there best and worst. When buying you need to look at what you will be welding today and tomorrow. Buying something a little bigger is a good thing, but you have to be budget minded also. The plus to the licoln machine is there rebates right now.

I use miller's at work, But I prefer a lincoln at home. The best you can do is find someone with one and see if they will let you weld with it and see if it is what you like. If it feels good in your hands before you buy. There is less regret later.

/ Lincoln MIG-Pak 180 #10  
Your not comparing apples to apples. The miller 211 is closer to the 180C. C is continuios and not a tap machine. And the C is about 300$ U.S. more. All machines have there best and worst. When buying you need to look at what you will be welding today and tomorrow. Buying something a little bigger is a good thing, but you have to be budget minded also. The plus to the licoln machine is there rebates right now.

I use miller's at work, But I prefer a lincoln at home. The best you can do is find someone with one and see if they will let you weld with it and see if it is what you like. If it feels good in your hands before you buy. There is less regret later.

I agree, they are very different machines. That's my point, actually. For about $350 more you get 110/220 versatility, the Autoset feature, and 30 amps more welding capacity.

There are a few more differences in the 180 Mig Pak and the 180C besides the tap vs. continuous voltage adjust. I think the drive mechanism in the Mig Pak is plastic vs. cast aluminum in the heavier duty model, and the transformer windings MAY be different (aluminum vs. copper). Research will tell you what the changes actually are.

After checking, the Lincoln IS spool gun compatible according to what I've read. I'm not saying it isn't a good MIG welder, I'm just saying it's worth exploring a bit further.

If it were me, and my budget wouldn't allow the Miller 211, I'd buy the Lincoln on sale this week for $619 and sit on it while I did some more research on pricing and upgrades. If I couldn't do any better I'd open the box and happily start welding.

My experience with Canadian Tire and Princess Auto, etc. has been that while the price looks good up front, you can often do better at a welding supply store, such as Air Liquide, Praxair, etc. Both of those sell Lincoln and Miller side by each which makes it easy to compare, plus you have a sales staff that should know them both inside out.

Just walking in the door and asking the price usually doesn't do it, though. I try to haggle the price down as far as I can, then make my decision. There's often at least $100 fat on the first price.

When I bought my 135 Miller, the deal included an owned tank of C25 Autoweld gas, more wire, and a helmet. By getting all three at the same time I got a further discount over the individual prices.

Another benefit is you'd be buying from a servicing dealer, not a box store. That can be a Very Good Thing in the unlikely event you do have problems.

Sean