Miller gas powered welder question

/ Miller gas powered welder question #1  

56FordGuy

Gold Member
I've got another old welder question. :)

I've run across a Miller gasoline powered welder/ generator. I have a picture of it. Can anyone identify the model? Were these good quality machines? I know modern Miller stuff is supposed to be nice, but I'm not familiar with the older models. Are they fairly reliable, and are parts still available? Any guesses on value?

I'm looking for my first stick welder, and looking possibly for a used one. That's where I keep finding these old things to ask questions about. :laughing: I really wasn't looking for a gas powered unit, simply because I don't want the hassle of maintaining another engine and having to listen to it running anytime I want to weld. On the other hand, I have run into a few instances where it would be nice to be able to weld something in the field, so to speak, without having to load it up and take it to the shop. If I could get a decent gas powered welder for the right price, I would go that route. Any opinions would be appreciated!

1.jpg

/ Miller gas powered welder question #4  
The Miller website says it's a 1974. It did not recognise the serial number to pull up a manual. It looks like fresh paint. I would run it and weld with it to make sure it works in all ranges. The engine is probably a Kohler and if taken care of should be ok. You could take it to a welder repair shop and have it load tested.

Dan

/ Miller gas powered welder question #5  
Looks like a Onan Engine, probably a CCK. They are very good engines IF you keep oil in them and water out of the up facing exhaust ports.
I bought 8 of them for $200. back in mid 80's all needing repair. I brought all of them back to life and made some good money selling them! Had to rebuild some of them. Parts are VERY expensive but available, even at some NAPA stores. Example- front main bearing (one piece press in)- $50. gasket set- $87. but that was back then, who knows today????
I would buy one any day of the week if I needed it. IIRC 600 lbs.

/ Miller gas powered welder question #7  
I don't have any idea what they might be worth in your Super Secret Location. ( you have not entered a location)
In my area, In good running condition, no knocks, no smoke, everything working- If I got lucky- $250. -$600. If I had to have it and had to take what was for sale, maybe up to $1000.

/ Miller gas powered welder question
I do need to fill out my location, don't I? :) Sorry about that. I'm just north of Nashville, TN.

I think I'm going to offer $300.00 on this one, because it needs a battery and leads.

/ Miller gas powered welder question #9  
Check out Onanparts.com, Your Onan Parts Solution for repair parts. Some parts can be expensive others are pretty much in line with other motors. I had to rebuild my onan P216G which is similiar to the CCK and it ran me about a grand for parts (major damage) but it was still cheaper than buying another welder.