Silver Member

Question welding table

My little welding table is two 1X12's about 25" long and 24" wide (it's ruff cut stuff out of the back yard). It wasn't built as a welding table (it's only 14" tall), it just migrated it's way into my shop and I use it to get off the concrete floor and to keep off my work table off the end of my table saw.

I'm going to build a taller one and am wondering if plate aluminum that I already have on hand will work. I have 1/8" and 3/16" stuff. I suppose I could buy some plate steel, but would like to keep the table light and easy to move around.

If I make a grounding point on the table will the aluminum plate work as a ground well enough?

tks,
    CB

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Default Re: welding table

err. good question. aluminum will conduct a ground and its used in electrical wire.

my welding table is steel because im always banging away on stuff while working on the table. its all 1/4" plate and real heavy.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Smile Re: welding table

I guess aluminum would work! It would get gouged a lot. Mine is out of steel, I often tack stuff to it to hold things together as I am fitting and assembling a project before final welding. Mine is 1/2" plate

Tractor
    NH TC29DA Bolens G14 Skytrac 5028 Dodge Cummins Jeep Rubicon Grizzly 700

I made an aluminum top work bench years ago that is about 4' X 3' and 1/4" thick. Love it. It is my welding and general use bench right now.

I made the frame out of 1" iron pipe legs and angle iron stringers across the top. It also has heavy duty casters that lock and two shelves.

I mounted a vice on it, welded a plug box on one leg with a heavy cord so I can plug the bench in and have a convenient place to plug in a grinder, or whatever.
    John

I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20(Gear)

One advantage to having a steel table is that during fabrication you can tack work pieces or supports down to the table when needed.
    Kioti, CK20(Gear), Loader, Backhoe, Box Scraper, and Post Hole Digger.

Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlot View Post
    One advantage to having a steel table is that during fabrication you can tack work pieces or supports down to the table when needed.
    There you have it. And nothing like having a perfectly flat welding table.
    My table is 1/4 inch steel. The last table I made (not for me) was made with 1/2 inch steel. My fathers was 3/4 inch and 4 ft x 8 ft, he did a lot of welding and big stuff at that.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife