Wanting to start small PT fab business.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #1  

1grnlwn

Bronze Member
Tractor
bobcat 773
I run a small landscaping business and have been building a shop for several years. I have gotten bored with the mow and blow, fert and squirt anyone who gets laid off is in the business atmosphere. I miss being creative. I would like to start a repair business because I have skills and have a creative streak. I guess I am reluctant to pull the trigger due to perceived tool deficiencies. I would like to know from the guys that run shops what else I would have to have just to open the side door. Here is a list of the main Items I have collected.

Hobart 210 Mig
Miller 180 sd tig/stick
Miller spectrum 875 Plasma cutter
Jancy mag drill
Cheap drill press
40 ton press and brake
Ellis belt sander
Horizontal liq cooled band saw
small weld table 2.5X4'
sand blaster Kit
9" hand grinder several 4.5 grinders.
2 ton cherry picker
good air compressor

So I know I will need a torch set but will probably wait till I have to get one. So what else would I have to have? Be assured if my funds were unlimited I would not need to ask this question. I would just go by it all. But my business style is to start out with what you have to have and add the rest as you grow. So what do I need to start? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
   / Wanting to start small PT fab business. #2  
I'm not familiar with your plasma cutter, will it scarf?

Might want to broaden your horizon, and get a portable welder and compressor. A lot of repair work on heavy equipment, not easily taken to a shop.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #3  
How can you not have a torch?

First three tools; Stick welder, torch, 4.5" grinder.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #4  
Looks like you have a good start. I would agree that you need a torch. On opening your door it just depends on your skills and what your wanting to build/fix. One of the things I dont own is a break and I have a neighbor that does and that will be my next purchase for the shop.
Wish you best of luck.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #5  
Porta Band
A real drill press that will take a #3 morris taper
Arc/air but you will need a bigger power supply
Die grinder
And as alredy said a portable welder.

Where in Central Il are you. I am around Decatur.

Dan

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #6  
I have been afabricator in a job shop for the last 15 years , you need a welder a four and ahalf inch grinder torch clamps some steel and a bench and a flexible hourly rate anything else is gravy

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #7  
Stick welder, face shield, chipping hammer ?

Seriously, if you want to make some money in that line THESE DAYS you probably want/need a plasma cutting table and software that can run AutoCAD files directly.
You might get away for $5K if you make the table and bed yourself.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #8  
i have a dynatorch plasma cutting CNC machine and i fab alot of stuff...but its hard to make a profit doing it.

Things are tough right now, and people are CHEAP. they want everything made for next to nothing.

Heres a little trailer lifting gizmo i just made. it took about 1 hr on computer to design, about 20 minutes to cut, then just welded it. the painting will take longer cause its just SO dang cold outside.

i also have a 38" box brake, a 60" slip roller, stick welder, mig welder, bandsaw

wish i had a milling machine, but have a friend with milling cnc machine and a tig welder (for aluminum). Between us we make some neat stuff. Good thing i only do it as a hobby tough, as id hate to have to survive doing it.

Attachments

• plate 1.jpg
    plate 1.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 140
  • plate 2.jpg
    plate 2.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 143
  • plate 3.jpg
    plate 3.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 128
  • plate 4.jpg
    plate 4.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 134
  • plate 5.jpg
    plate 5.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 160
  • plate 6.jpg
    plate 6.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 0328111041.jpg
    0328111041.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 0328111040.jpg
    0328111040.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 143
   / Wanting to start small PT fab business. #9  
Porta Band
A real drill press that will take a #3 morris taper
Arc/air but you will need a bigger power supply
Die grinder
And as alredy said a portable welder.

Where in Central Il are you. I am around Decatur.

Dan

I second the porta band, I use it for everything. Not a do everything tool but does it faster and cleaner.

/ Wanting to start small PT fab business. #10  
Heres a little trailer lifting gizmo i just made. it took about 1 hr on computer to design, about 20 minutes to cut, then just welded it. the painting will take longer cause its just SO dang cold outside.

I hope you have some sort of backup restraint for that gizmo (other than friction from your setscrew). IIRC CurlyDave had a trailer mover that attached in the same fashion and it slid around on him. See his thread at: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/safety/117762-paynes-hitch-receiver.html

Aaron Z