Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #1  

eazyduzzit

Bronze Member
Tractor
1967 Ford 2000, 2005 MF 1429
I have a small O/A torch that you can carry around. It's great except every time I get in the middle of a project I run out of one or the other.
Where can I get a decent priced back-up set, or a larger set without spending a ton of money?

I think I know the answer, but I hope not...
(nowhere)

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #2  
Around here the best option is to lease the bottles. I get 'em from a local welding shop. Owning large bottles is a hassle when time comes to refill and may even be illegal in your area.

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #3  
I use Nex Air or Air Gas either one. I own my bottles no lease.

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #5  
I have a mix of owned and leased, I wanna get rid of the leased ones, since I've been paying the rental on 2 of them for close to 30 years!

At one time you couldn't own them, as no one would fill them unless they were leased from the company, Now things have changed, but I haven't, every year I get that lease bill, I say "I gotta do something about this"

I was shocked at the purchase price though when I looked into it one year :mad:

JB

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #6  
our supplier here in Idaho just swaps the tanks, no lease charges. and i dont have to re-certify my tanks.

Much easier than owning the tanks.

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #7  
Same here I paid an up front cost but when I need to refill they just swap them out and the cost of gas. If I wanted extra tanks again a single upfront cost.

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #8  
I have a small O/A torch that you can carry around. It's great except every time I get in the middle of a project I run out of one or the other.
Where can I get a decent priced back-up set, or a larger set without spending a ton of money?

I think I know the answer, but I hope not...
(nowhere)

tsc sells bottles ( gas pony / thouroughbred ) and most harbor freight will sell those small cyls like you already have. my local store does anyway.. so you could at least have a backup set.. etc.

soundguy

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #9  
our supplier here in Idaho just swaps the tanks, no lease charges. and i dont have to re-certify my tanks.

Much easier than owning the tanks.

So you don't have to buy or lease the tanks? Sign me up :)

We swap tanks here as well but you either own them or rent them.

I own 2 acetylene P-tanks and just swap them when I need to, similar to the 20# propane tanks, some vendors just swap them too now.

JB.

/ Where to buy Oxy/Acetylene tanks #10  
Usually Craigslist has several O/A outfits for sale. Much cheaper than buying new and AirGas will exchange them - at least here.