gas welding carbon steel to stainless

/ gas welding carbon steel to stainless #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Is there anything other than brazing that can be done to join these two dissimilar metals? It's a gas only proposition.

/ gas welding carbon steel to stainless #3  
They're compatible. Just go ahead and weld it with steel filler rod.

/ gas welding carbon steel to stainless #6  
I found a little, (very little) bit about welding stainless steel with O/A in one of my old books.

Tig, and SMAW are probably the two cheapest processes to get going. Mig would mean a tri-mix gas which most people don't have on hand.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 124
   / gas welding carbon steel to stainless #7  
When I worked at a cannery, all the shoots were SS. We put legs and braces on them that were mild steel. We just used a SS rod on a DC stick welder. No big deal.

/ gas welding carbon steel to stainless
Why is that?

Due to space. It's a small part and I silver brazed it before, but it didn't hold. So I am wondering if welding with the steel filler rod idea will, indeed, work?

I don't have a tri-mix gas for the mig, and would be afraid to try it. Would sil-fos work? I have tons of experience with sil-fos, but never with these two metals. I have a lot of silver solder time as well, but this did not take well to it, for some reason. Maybe it got dirty by my earlier attempts, not sure.

/ gas welding carbon steel to stainless #9  
In "Normal" welding techniques, its proper to use stainless filler to make the connection between steel and stainless...not steel filler.

/ gas welding carbon steel to stainless
In "Normal" welding techniques, its proper to use stainless filler to make the connection between steel and stainless...not steel filler.

OK thanks, I was told by others, before, to use the silver solder.