question about duty cycle

/ question about duty cycle #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have a Miller 211 Mig that I am learning on . I understand the concept of duty cycle, but am unsure what happens to this particular welder when it is exceded. Does the arc just weaken and you just sense a lack of power? Or does the machine have an automatic cut-off or signal that it is time to stop and let things cool? In other words, how do I know it is time to slow down and wait? I hate to ask stupid questions but hey, I admit I am clueless. Thanks to you guys who are willing to share your knowledge!

/ question about duty cycle #2  
I have a Miller 211 Mig that I am learning on . I understand the concept of duty cycle, but am unsure what happens to this particular welder when it is exceded. Does the arc just weaken and you just sense a lack of power? Or does the machine have an automatic cut-off or signal that it is time to stop and let things cool? In other words, how do I know it is time to slow down and wait? I hate to ask stupid questions but hey, I admit I am clueless. Thanks to you guys who are willing to share your knowledge!

If I remember correctly, it should have an automatic cut-off.

Yep, it does. Found it on my spec sheet:
"Thermal overload protection shuts down the unit and activates over temperature light if airflow is blocked or duty cycle is exceeded. Automatically resets when fault is corrected and unit cools."

/ question about duty cycle #3  
How do you like your 211? I keep bouncing back and forth on buying a Millermatic 211 or an Everlast I-Mig 200.

/ question about duty cycle #4  
How do you like your 211? I keep bouncing back and forth on buying a Millermatic 211 or an Everlast I-Mig 200.

I've got the 211. I love it.
Had a Lincoln 135P, 110v prior to the 211.
There is no comparison. The 211 will do most
everything that I will ever want to do with it.
I have welded 5/16" steel with no problems. I
know that I could even do heavier steel, just haven't
had that opportunity. I mostly just make my own
repairs and some light fabrication.

Greg

/ question about duty cycle #5  
I've had inexpensive, low duty cycle stick machines all my life, never paid any attention to the duty cycle, never stopped welding cause I thought I was going over. No worse for the wear as far as I can tell? I'm sure the modern MIGs may be more susceptible and have some type of built in protection.

JB

/ question about duty cycle #6  
all my machiens cut out when duty cycle is exceeded.

soundguy

/ question about duty cycle #7  
[Hijack]
I am going through the same debate. Everybody who has the 211 loves it, all who have the I-Mig love it. I suspect you can't do wrong with either. For me it comes down to... do I want have a relationship with a local vendor for supplies/service (Miller) or save money, have more features, 1/2 the weight, but need ship unit out for service if needed, mail order consumables. (Everlast) I'm getting tired of doing the pros/cons, I am about to toss a coin.
[/end Hijack]

/ question about duty cycle #8  
I also have a Miller 211 and I can say I love it also. I had a lincon sp 100 it was a nice little welder but nothing compared to my 211. Glad I bought the Miller. On the question of duty cycle as others have said it will shut down but, leave the power on so the fan keeps running. I welded up a tube for my bucket 68'' long almost continuously. The ground cable got a little warm but, it never shut down.

Last edited:
   / question about duty cycle #9  
If you read your manual on the 211 or any other welder it will tell you what your duty cycle is. The 211 is probably 20-30% at 211 amps or 30-40% at 150. It just means how many minutes out of 10 you can weld before the machine starts to heat up internally. 30% = 3 minutes out 10 arc time. Dont worry about duty cycle until it gives you a reason to. Then you will live with what you get or you will buy a more industrial type machine.

/ question about duty cycle #10  
If you read your manual on the 211 or any other welder it will tell you what your duty cycle is. The 211 is probably 20-30% at 211 amps or 30-40% at 150. It just means how many minutes out of 10 you can weld before the machine starts to heat up internally. 30% = 3 minutes out 10 arc time. Dont worry about duty cycle until it gives you a reason to. Then you will live with what you get or you will buy a more industrial type machine.

150A at 23.5VDC, 30% Duty Cycle (230V)
90A at 20VDC, 20% Duty Cycle (120V)