Recall of Northstar generators??

/ Recall of Northstar generators?? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I recently bought a 13,000W Northstar (from Northern) generator, but since I ordered it, there has been some sort of recall on all of their large generators. They just came out with a new design that is in their new 2011 catalog and most stores have them in stock, and they are blowing out the old design. Problem is, for some reason, they are not allowed to sell these new generators either online (where they say they are backordered) or in the stores, where they sit in the back but cannot be sold. Just wondered what the problem is?? Evidently, Nothern sent out an e-mail telling stores not to sell them yet, and I was told it may be late June when they are released. I ordered this over two weeks ago and am frustrated that I have not gotten it yet and no one seems to be able to tell me what the issue is and when delivery can be promised. Anybody know the real story, and better yet, when I can expect my generator?

/ Recall of Northstar generators?? #2  
Perhaps this will help :

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ine-recall-snowblowers-generators-others.html

In part:
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Tecumseh Products Co., Tecumseh, Mich., is voluntarily recalling about 25,000 engines used in various outdoor power equipment. A misrouted fuel line in the engine can become damaged, allowing gasoline to leak out, posing a fire hazard to consumers...

Power Equipment: Generators
Brand Name: Coleman Powermate, North Star
Retailers/Dealers: Menards, Northern Tool

/ Recall of Northstar generators?? #3  
Tecumseh folded a few years back IIRC...the above recall is dated 2002 so I kinda doubt thats it:p

/ Recall of Northstar generators?? #4  
Last I knew Northern like to use Honda engines on most of the equipment they sell.

/ Recall of Northstar generators??
Thanks Qapla, but after looking at you reference, I don't think that is it. This engine is Honda's latest, a big Vtwin GX series, that is on the new Northstar generators they just introduced in the latest 2011 catalog. I am not sure what generators are affected, but for sure the 10,000, 13,000 and 15,000W models. The manager at my local store is bummed, as he only has a few of the previous models left and will have none to sell until they resolve this issue (whatever it is). I am frustrated, because the generator I ordered is sitting at his store, and he can't let me have it. Knowing Honda, it's probably some petty issue that doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I like the new design however, as they are a little smaller, have a metal tank instead of plastic, have a better frame for lifting, a better handle, and comes with a free wheel set. The old design is on sale however, so they are a pretty good buy now. One manager also told me he would discount any unboxed old model another 10% off the sale price. I just had my heart set on new model!

/ Recall of Northstar generators?? #6  
There may be an epa issue or some legal issue with the gensets.