Welding Table

/ Welding Table
If you can afford 3/8" or 1/2", I'd go that route.

I looked up a steel weight calculator. 3/8 plate = 183lbs. 1/4 = 122lbs. 1/2" = 244lbs. I have to manhandle it by myself. No forks, lift or hoist unfortunately. I think 3/8 is the most I can do without risk to life, limb, and herniated disk.

Ian

/ Welding Table #22  
ok ill bite whats a highway plate?

My thinking is it is a steel plate they put over an opening in the road that was dug up so people can still use the road until the opening (hole) can be filled in. Like a temporary bridge, heavy steel plate. Probably need to re-mortgage your house in order to buy one.

Gizmo got it right. The size I mentioned to Shield Arc is one size that is typical for use on the highway. There are several sizes which are common. They usually have holes around the edges so that pins can be put into the roadway to keep the plate from moving as traffic hits it while driving over it.

/ Welding Table
No welding table for me unless I happen onto some free plate. I was quoted $267 for the 3/8 this morning. I'm not willing to pay even half that.

oh well, was a good idea for a few minutes.
Ian

/ Welding Table #25  
No welding table for me unless I happen onto some free plate. I was quoted $267 for the 3/8 this morning. I'm not willing to pay even half that.

oh well, was a good idea for a few minutes.
Ian

was that a drop or cut from a full plate? a drop will be cheaper. I dont think i paid much more than that for the 3/4" plate i bought for my welding table.

my top weighs about 400lbs, to put it on the table i drilled a hole in the center for a lifting eye and just chained it to the chain hook on my FEL.

Having a heavy table is nice, The other day i clamped a 13' piece of 4x4 square tubing to it and it was still quite stable even with all that weight hanging over the end.

/ Welding Table #26  
"No welding table for me unless I happen onto some free plate. I was quoted $267 for the 3/8 this morning. I'm not willing to pay even half that."

For me, going from welding on the floor to a table was priceless...

/ Welding Table #28  
I'll have you know my welding table is proportionate to the size of my shop, thank you very much! :laughing::laughing::laughing:;)

Let's not go there. Otherwise I'll just end up being as jealous of your shop as I am of your welding ability.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Welding Table #29  
They usually have holes around the edges so that pins can be put into the roadway to keep the plate from moving as traffic hits it while driving over it.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:So the holes are to anchor it down so that it doesnt become a welding table??:D:D

/ Welding Table #30  
They usually have holes around the edges so that pins can be put into the roadway to keep the plate from moving as traffic hits it while driving over it.

:thumbsup:So the holes are to anchor it down so that it doesnt become a welding table??:D:D[/QUOTE]

Yep. You wouldn't want cars tearing their axles off from dropping into your welding table would you?:confused2:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: