Welding Table

/ Welding Table #31  
Runner said:
"No welding table for me unless I happen onto some free plate. I was quoted $267 for the 3/8 this morning. I'm not willing to pay even half that."

For me, going from welding on the floor to a table was priceless...

Try your local scrap yard I paid 48.00$ for 2 pieces of 1/2 x12x48.They had street plate but I didn't need it,Plus I would have needed a few friends!!!

/ Welding Table #32  
IMHO that's not overbuilt. You just stole the thoughts for mine out of my head.:D Mind if I copy your design?

That's a beautiful bench , but beware of the vise extension. With nearly 12" of overhang over the castor axle it may be subject to unexpected overturn. Similar benches at my work place have the front legs angled forward about 15 degrees. MikeD74T

/ Welding Table #33  
I looked up a steel weight calculator. 3/8 plate = 183lbs. 1/4 = 122lbs. 1/2" = 244lbs. I have to manhandle it by myself. No forks, lift or hoist unfortunately. I think 3/8 is the most I can do without risk to life, limb, and herniated disk.

Ian

Ya gotta a tractor with a loader...

/ Welding Table
Yea, but it's no good inside my little shop. Would help getting it from the truck to the shop though.

A co-worker of mine is checking a scrap yard that is over in his neck of the woods for a plate that will work.

Ian

/ Welding Table #35  
i bought a table with legs already welded onto it. not the greatest table, but i thought the price was reasonable.

approx $.80/lbs 5 years ago

/ Welding Table
I remember getting a penny a pound for scrap iron when I was a kid. I figured out real quick to stick with aluminum cans and forget the steel. Seems times have changed a bit.

Ian

/ Welding Table #37  
I looked up a steel weight calculator. 3/8 plate = 183lbs. 1/4 = 122lbs. 1/2" = 244lbs. I have to manhandle it by myself. No forks, lift or hoist unfortunately. I think 3/8 is the most I can do without risk to life, limb, and herniated disk.

Ian

Well, I was going to suggest renting an engine hoist; since the table is now out of the question, my suggestion is moot.

"No welding table for me unless I happen onto some free plate. I was quoted $267 for the 3/8 this morning. I'm not willing to pay even half that."

For me, going from welding on the floor to a table was priceless...

No kidding! The more back trouble one has, the more one appreciates not having to contort one's self like a Chinese acrobat.

/ Welding Table #38  
I remember getting a penny a pound for scrap iron when I was a kid. I figured out real quick to stick with aluminum cans and forget the steel. Seems times have changed a bit.

Ian

Not that many years ago (right before the Chineese started building 3 rivers dam) scrap steel was $2/ton. Now it's over $200/ton. Indeed, times have changed.

/ Welding Table #39  
No welding table for me unless I happen onto some free plate. I was quoted $267 for the 3/8 this morning. I'm not willing to pay even half that.

oh well, was a good idea for a few minutes.
Ian

Haywire, keep checking the scrapyards. I picked up a 4 X 8 X 3/8 piece last September for $195.00. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/183165-welding-table-build.html
Runner had it right when he said, "For me, going from welding on the floor to a table was priceless...__________________Runner "
Don't give up on your idea and good luck.:thumbsup:

/ Welding Table #40  
Not that many years ago (right before the Chineese started building 3 rivers dam) scrap steel was $2/ton. Now it's over $200/ton. Indeed, times have changed.

if i was to find a place that would sell me a nice flat 4x6 or 5x8 piece of 3/4 plate for the price of scrap, i would grab it in some small portion of a split second.:licking::D