Welding Table

/ Welding Table #41  
Yeah the local yard diverts plate into a pile and tries to sell it at 75% of new price even if warped, or covered in weldments.

/ Welding Table #42  
Couldn't you use a thin top over a good frame for most DIY projects?

/ Welding Table
I had actually thought of that. I considered thick plywood skinned with some thin stuff like 1/8 or thinner. I have some feelers out for the plate. I just have to be patient.

Ian

/ Welding Table #44  
I had actually thought of that. I considered thick plywood skinned with some thin stuff like 1/8 or thinner. I have some feelers out for the plate. I just have to be patient.

Ian

You could use micro-lam (1 3/4) and sheet metal, I was thinking. It would dent, but what the heck?
If you covered a couple with sheet-metal (like 18x48) you could use them on horses and save shop space.
Not to reinvent the wheel, but you could screw thru them easy for quick jigs..

/ Welding Table
Problem is that by the time you buy a sheet of some specialty 1.75" plywood and a thin sheet of metal, you've come close to buying the thick sheet of metal.

Ian

/ Welding Table #46  
I do only very small jobs so don't need a large table and have successfully been using one of those workmate type workbench units but as you might imagine the top is pretty much toast (literally). Been contemplated replacing the wood top with 1/4" or 1/2" plate (likely 1/2"), the end result a relatively small fold up welding table with built in clamping abilities. Anyone here do anything similar?

Last edited:
   / Welding Table #47  
Problem is that by the time you buy a sheet of some specialty 1.75" plywood and a thin sheet of metal, you've come close to buying the thick sheet of metal.

Ian
Sometimes it's real nice to be able to weld your work to the table, it's like having four hands, then grind it off when done. Makes it tough with a thin sheet metal table.

/ Welding Table #48  
In another thread there was talk about rust on the grounding point. To prevent that and to give you a clean spot all the time then get a small piece of stanless steel and weld to your table to attach your ground to.:thumbsup:

/ Welding Table #49  
I just spent the morning checking out welding table ideas, and products, and it finally occurred to me that unless you know what you're gonna be building, it doesn't make much sense to try and figure out what size table you want.. :confused2:
So, what I'm going to do is get some steel channel 'caps' that fit over the tops of my horses. I use 'Great White' horses (a set can hold a cube of 2x12's) and I've got 3 sets. Shims under the caps will allow for flatness adjustments. And when I need a table for small stuff, I can lay a piece of plate or two up there. I bought some tee shirts from 'Welding Tips and Tricks', just to give me the sensation of spending some money.. :thumbsup:

/ Welding Table #50  
Just came in from the shop - working on final assembly of my table when I saw this thread!

Mine is 48"x32" and sits 35" high. Made out of 2 pieces of 24x32x1/2 inch plate I had laying around.

Built on 2x2x3/8 angle iron frame.

Big enough for the majority of the projects I work on. And it was material I had, so no cash outlay to build it.