Welding Table

/ Welding Table #51  
The one I made is 48" x 30" x 1/2" thick.

The frame is 2" x 3" box. The frame is set back about 2" from the edges so I can use C Clamps to hold stuff down.

The table is on heavy duty casters so I move it around the garage.

/ Welding Table
The welding table project has been put off indefinitely.

I don't have access to any cheap steel, and buying 1/2" plate is cost prohibitive. If I come across any cheap plate, I'll probably build one, but until then...

I found that after I got my welder, learned to put down a decent flat bead and did the welding projects I already had in my mind, the welder mostly sits idle anyway.

Ian

/ Welding Table #53  
I had actually thought of that. I considered thick plywood skinned with some thin stuff like 1/8 or thinner. I have some feelers out for the plate. I just have to be patient.

Ian

Thats what I have. I have a 56"x30" 1/4 plate on a rolling work bench that has shelves, and a lot of storage underneath. I just tack welded some angle under the plate to keep it on the cart, and it works great. the top of the cart is doubled up 3/4 plywood. with the cart full of tools, it is rock solid. It has locking casters.

/ Welding Table #54  
Got this beauty today. I was talking to a buddy about my new mig machine and needing a table top, he said, 'I just saw a piece on the job in Newark!, I'll get it for you..' I met him on the way home. I love it when a plan comes together.. :)

Attachments

• table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 980
   / Welding Table #55  
Add a few of these laser cuts and you're in.

Welding Table.jpg

Welding Table 2.jpg

/ Welding Table #57  
The welding table project has been put off indefinitely.

I don't have access to any cheap steel, and buying 1/2" plate is cost prohibitive. If I come across any cheap plate, I'll probably build one, but until then...

Ian

Haywire, I was browsing on the Miller Projects (I think) site last night, and saw a table that a guy made using flat stock - maybe 3" wide - in a "slat" design, rather than a single plate. He had maybe 3/4" gaps between the slats, and liked the convenience of being able to clamp a workpiece at various location across the top. I haven't priced anything but this may be a more economical way to make a top, and may give you more options at the salvage yard. While his slats were uniform in width, they wouldn't have to be.

/ Welding Table #58  
Haywire, I was browsing on the Miller Projects (I think) site last night, and saw a table that a guy made using flat stock - maybe 3" wide - in a "slat" design, rather than a single plate. He had maybe 3/4" gaps between the slats, and liked the convenience of being able to clamp a workpiece at various location across the top. I haven't priced anything but this may be a more economical way to make a top, and may give you more options at the salvage yard. While his slats were uniform in width, they wouldn't have to be.

Interesting concept, I may have to keep that in mind.

/ Welding Table #59  
I have a trailer axle that's half good. Thinking of using it to mount my table on, so it turns.. anybody do that?

/ Welding Table #60  
I used 4 heavy duty caster wheels so I move it around the garage I was well worth it.