Welding Table

/ Welding Table #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
I've got a set of metal legs I was thinking about putting a top on to make a small welding table. It would be about 3' square and about 3' tall. My projects won't be that big and I'm a bit space constrained so I figure it would work for a base that won't catch on fire. Might build a small shelf underneath to hold the welder. I was thinking 1/4" plate for the top.

What do you think? How large are your welding tables in comparison to project size?

Ian

Edit... went out and measured. It would be 36x30 and 28" tall.

Last edited:
   / Welding Table #2  
Im gonna do a similar set up. Im looking for a highway plate to make top out of but not easy to find so far.

/ Welding Table #3  
Mine is 53 x 60, but that was because I happened to have access to a piece of 3/8 inch checkerplate that was already cut to that size. For most stuff I work on, 36 x 48 would probably be plenty big enough, but, of course, bigger is always better if you can do it....

I really like having the side and back panels on this table, keeps the grindings and welding spatter from going all over the place, but it probably would be too confining on a smaller table.

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 37,238
   / Welding Table #4  
My table has a 1/4 inch steel top, been using it for years. The top is well supported on the under side and has severed me well. The top is approximately 2ft x 4ft. On the other end of the spectrum my dad had a welding table the was approximately 5ft x 10ft and 1 inch thick.

/ Welding Table #5  
mine is 2' x 4' made with 1/4" plate on top shelf and an additional 1/4" plate for a bottom (lower) shelf. i used 2x2 tube for the legs. i used 2 shelves to strengthen it.

been used for 6 years, works great. sometimes i wish it was larger, but i didnt want to take up too much space.

amazing this is, with the 1000's of pictures i have on this puter...none of my welding bench. go figure. heres a partial view with a gate leaning on it

Attachments

• work bench.jpg
    work bench.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 6,591
   / Welding Table #6  
mine is 2' x 4' made with 1/4" plate on top shelf and an additional 1/4" plate for a bottom (lower) shelf. i used 2x2 tube for the legs. i used 2 shelves to strengthen it.

been used for 6 years, works great. sometimes i wish it was larger, but i didnt want to take up too much space.

amazing this is, with the 1000's of pictures i have on this puter...none of my welding bench. go figure. heres a partial view with a gate leaning on it
I also used 2x2 legs and I don't have a picture of my table either, so that makes 2 slackers.

/ Welding Table #7  
I think over did mine... 36"Wx72L 35"H with 4x4 legs and 1/2" top.
11v4i2p.jpg

2m47p6o.jpg

210cdba.jpg

/ Welding Table
That's a nice one.. I am tempted to make mine 36x48. The legs I have are set up for casters, but don't have any, so they will probably add 6" of height. That'll be a good thing.

Ian

/ Welding Table #10  
4'x6' 1/4''' top 2x2 legs and girts

Here is my list of indispensibles

!. clamp rack
2. Pencil, punch tape tray
3 torch sling or mount
4 open ended tube to slide a smaller tube in for vises or a table extension for longer projects
5 an electric outlet
6 hooks for cords etc
7 place to hand grinder
8 make sure there is at least a 2 inch lip all around the top for clamping