Need some scrap for practice.... so

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #11  
I'd rather see just a tad bit of undercut, than cold lap. Especially with Mig welding!

Attachments

• undercut - 05.GIF
    undercut - 05.GIF
    4.5 KB · Views: 256
   / Need some scrap for practice.... so
I would guess burned into the base metal. When I get close to a corner when doing a fillet weld, I've noticed the weld penetrating a lot deeper. It tends to leave a 'ledge' or 'overhang' on the upper piece.

Ian

Edit... SA was posting at the same time I was. My guess was right. Yay!

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #13  
I'd rather see just a tad bit of undercut, than cold lap. Especially with Mig welding!

Thanks for the picture. I was mentally picturing cold lap. That really helped to clear it up.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #14  
In my opinion, (take it for what it's worth....... nothing):laughing: cold lap is a disaster with Mig welding!

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #15  
If not that shop then how about a scrap steel dealer? There's a couple around here that will sell you the steel (if it's usable) and I bet a few trips back with what you got the first time would just give you pieces. One of the steel dealers is also a scrap dealer and I know if they thought you'd be buying steel from them in the future they would gladly give you some scrap to play with.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #16  
Check your local tractor dealer. Usually plenty of shipping crates around to hack up and carry off.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #17  
Check your local tractor dealer. Usually plenty of shipping crates around to hack up and carry off.

Or an ATV dealer. Same thing... Crates.

My local scrap yard quit selling their scrap to individuals. Cited liability issues.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #18  

Or an ATV dealer. Same thing... Crates.

My local scrap yard quit selling their scrap to individuals. Cited liability issues.

Crates? As in, wooden shipping crates? I'd think the only metal in those would be the nails and possibly any thin straps (if those aren't made of plastic)?

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #19  
Few years ago I got about six stacks like this from the local motorcycle shop. Some of the frames had these cool little feet. I've done quite a few projects from this scrap haul.

Attachments

• Scrap.jpg
    Scrap.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 184
   / Need some scrap for practice.... so #20  
Crates? As in, wooden shipping crates? I'd think the only metal in those would be the nails and possibly any thin straps (if those aren't made of plastic)?

Absolutely! Once you've put enough of those nails and thin straps together to make a project you're mighty practiced in the art of welding.

:laughing: