Weld Critique Plz

/ Weld Critique Plz #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
I got a bead today that finally looks like something. I was doing the little circles rather than just trying to lay a straight bead. This is Hobart 1/8" 6010 at 64 amps, electrode positive.

What can you suggest to improve on this result other than just practice? Self diagnosis tells me more consistent speed.

thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,019
   / Weld Critique Plz #2  
You are soooo making me want my welder now.:laughing:

I got nothing for you since you've run more beads than I have (zero), but I'm anxiously awaiting the feedback on this myself.:thumbsup: Keep up the practice and the posting. Hopefully, I'm learning as you go.:D

/ Weld Critique Plz #3  
Looks like your running a little cold. Try running it at 80, and with 6010 dont run circles, I backstep. Run it forward and then when the pool thins out back step it to get that ripple. Like whipping.

I honestly dont run much 6010, but step it, and run a little hotter and you should be good.

/ Weld Critique Plz #4  
I'm not an expert, but I'd turn it up to 80, 85, or maybe even 90-AMPs. Try running a "J" pattern. Run the long part of the "J" on the bottom plate, come back and make the curl up onto the upper plate.

/ Weld Critique Plz
I turned it up to 80 and had a huge amount of undercut. Everything was melting all over the place. Metal Soup!

I could do ok at 70, but not with the back and forth. With the circles it's one long smooth movement. Stopping and changing directions back and forth throws me for a loop and it all goes to heck.

Ian

/ Weld Critique Plz #6  
You have to really watch your arc length, (distance from tip of rod to plate). Too much arc length will give you undercut / lack of fill.

Attachments

• 10P Plus B.jpg
    10P Plus B.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 520
   / Weld Critique Plz
Too much arc length will give you undercut / lack of fill.

Ok, good. I see that a lot and I know I'm bad about moving forward and not moving down. I'm trying to see what the puddle is doing and forget about the rod tip.

Ian

/ Weld Critique Plz #8  
The recommended amperage for 1/8 inch 6010/6011 is 75 to 125 amps. Like Shield Ark said, you are probably just not feeding the rod and holding too long an arc. Practice, practice, practice...

/ Weld Critique Plz #9  
I can't tell by the pic how thick your material is, but 65 amps is pretty cold for 1/8".
When welding with 6010 watch your puddle until it flows just to or a little past your edge then move the rod in a straight line about about 1/2" in the direction you are travelling. Then move it back and "stack" another puddle on top of the first one only slighlty overlapped. When you are travelling back to the puddle you can make a very small circular motion but not muth. You do this over and over and every motion back will make on little ripple in your finished welds. All of this happens very quickly and you need to weld a lot to get good at it. When you are stopped and watching the puddle go past the edge that is what keeps you from having undercut.
For a beginner I think your weld looks very good. When you get really good with 6010 the bead will look like a bunch of little dimes all laying in a row slightly overlapping each other.
Some of the welds I see on the build it yourself equipment on this site is a little scary looking but you are off to a great start.
I have read that you tube has some very good welding videos. I have never watched them as I made my living as a welder for quite a few years before moving into Supervision.

/ Weld Critique Plz
The top piece is 1/4 and the bottom is 3/16". I'll go back and try to maintain a short arc with more amperage.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post some more pics when I make a little more progress. I'm about out of junk to weld together. I'll pay that shop a visit next monday and get some more scrap.

Ian