Magnetic Ground Clamp

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #1  

Meriasek

Was watching some welding videos on youtube, and there is a gentleman who has a magnetic ground clap. It's a circluar magnet that attaches to wherever. Do any of you guys use such a device, and if so where can I get one?

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #2  
4" Magnetic Ground Block

image_142.jpg

Bruce

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #3  
Look around on line or your local welding supplier.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #4  
I tried one for a while and they work good on a clean metal surface, If you have any paint or dirt or grease issues, they are not worth 10 cents. Ken Sweet

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #5  
i tried one also....wasnt too impressed. my gripping clamp gives me a great positive grounding..... not sure why i bought the magnetic one..guess it was just another gadget that i thought i needed.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #6  
I've never had any luck with magnets and welding. They just seam to collect every small piece of steel, whether it be cuttings, grindings, or splatters, the magnet finds them all.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #7  
Tried one once. :)

They are very good for picking up nails in in your driveway. :D :thumbsup:

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #9  
From the posts, I would tend to consider a switchable magnet if such a thing is made for a ground clamp, but even then you still going to have the paint/rust grounding problem, but realistically that is true for mechanical clamps also. A switchable magnet is typically used in machine shops to hold dial indicators at various locations.
An example of the mentioned magnet can be view in this link.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/_90714_187687.jpg

David from jax

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #10  
Magnetic grounds are handy if you cant put on a ground clamp like if you wanted to weld on a large sphere or large pipe and ground wouldnt reach the end, otherwise clamps are best. As for paint, rust etc, even with a clamp style, the area needs to be clean to avoid arcing the ground area.