How to correct a bad weld.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #31  
I'm curious guys, why not weld the triangular gusset to the top of the square tube then he could weld the gusset to the jack bracket and if he put a small right angle bend in the gusset he could brace the jack in two planes. What's the group opinion on that solution?

/ How to correct a bad weld. #32  
why don't you weld the square bracket on the jacks to each end of the rake. it will be a lot stronger.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #33  
Just from what i see from the pic grind it out and re weld , That set up is'nt strong enough any way ..too light.... wheels are too small etc !...all too flimsy, Gussets are fine but those tinny jacks are nothing to work from !

/ How to correct a bad weld. #34  
I think th OP also needs more of a floatation type tire. Those small skinny tires are gonna pull pretty hard in loose dirt.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #35  
Looking at the wheel setup it is way under sized compared to factory supplied gauge wheels too. Trailer jack wheels, axles or vertical tube won't last long in this application even if the welding and support gussets are perfect.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #36  
how about a couple of U-bolts around the round pipe and fastened to the flat plate?
simonmeridew

/ How to correct a bad weld. #37  
Rakes are relatively light. Those wheels are not likely to trouble in that application. Their support however undergoes a lot of leverage force if they catch. That appears to be the only problem the OP is seeing. Those jacks are not flimsy when well overlapped. I have accidently dragged heavy things a few feet with full weight on them ... no damage.
larry

/ How to correct a bad weld.
Wow, been away from TBN for a couple of days and missed all the replies!

It would help if we knew what type of welder you are using. also could the wheel not be swiveking and putting a side load on the weld? As you go up and down with the adjustment the angle of the castor changes and this could make it hard to turn just a idea.

I have a Stickmate, running DC and using 6011 rods. It is a great machine, just operator error.

I like your gauge wheel implementation and think ill use some variation of it.:thumbsup: I dont see where the weld of jack tube to square tube is made. Looks like there is a bracket on the jack that would be welded to the square. Maybe you are augmenting this with another weld to the jack tube?

At any rate, grind off as much failed weld as possible and use 6011 rod at highest non burnthru level. Chip slag, inspect the weld and touch it up while hot if you can. Bracing too as mentioned previous. ... oopps - you are stick welding right?
larry

The picture is from this post http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/108102-my-version-skunkwerxs-gauge-wheels.html when I built them in late '07. You can see it wasn't my design, but has worked well on both my rake and box-blade. I did have to replace the 8" wheels with 10" non-flat tires.

Looked at it more closely. Cut a plate, bolt it to the jacks and then bolt or weld plate to the main frame.:thumbsup:

No penetration, a little more heat? :)

I'm going to rethink the mounting design and either weld on a plate and bolt to that or add gussets.

Thanks again and I'll report back with whatever changes I make.