How to correct a bad weld.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Too embarrassed to show closeup pictures here, but I have a weld on my gauge wheel setup that has broken twice. It is where the 2" tubing is welded to the jack body. Rather than explain how I tried to fix it (and had it break the second time), what is proper method for correcting a broken weld? Do I need to grind/cut away all traces of the original (bad) weld?

I clearly wasn't getting good penetration with either attempt and I need to correct that. I'd just like to get it right the 3rd time.

Thanks,

Attachments

• gwheels2.jpg
    gwheels2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 773
   / How to correct a bad weld. #2  
I weld from the Redneck School of Trades, but yes, grind it away, get rid of as many voids as possible, and reweld. If the reason you couldn't get penetration is because of thin tubing, make multiple passes. I have even built up light metal edges to add more mass and then made more passes at a higher temp.

E

/ How to correct a bad weld. #3  
yes you need to grind away all of the bad weld......also another technique that I use alot in my shop is preheating the weld joint before welding. This will help reduce the thermal shock to the metal and reduce the stress in the heat affected zone of the weld....hope this helps.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #5  
Too embarrassed to show closeup pictures here, but I have a weld on my gauge wheel setup that has broken twice. It is where the 2" tubing is welded to the jack body.

I clearly wasn't getting good penetration with either attempt and I need to correct that. I'd just like to get it right the 3rd time.

Thanks,
I like your gauge wheel implementation and think ill use some variation of it.:thumbsup: I dont see where the weld of jack tube to square tube is made. Looks like there is a bracket on the jack that would be welded to the square. Maybe you are augmenting this with another weld to the jack tube?

At any rate, grind off as much failed weld as possible and use 6011 rod at highest non burnthru level. Chip slag, inspect the weld and touch it up while hot if you can. Bracing too as mentioned previous. ... oopps - you are stick welding right?
larry

/ How to correct a bad weld. #6  
It would help if we knew what type of welder you are using. also could the wheel not be swiveking and putting a side load on the weld? As you go up and down with the adjustment the angle of the castor changes and this could make it hard to turn just a idea.

Last edited:
   / How to correct a bad weld. #7  
It would help if we knew what type of welder you are using. also could the wheel not be swiveking and putting a side load on the weld? As you go up and down with the adjustment the angle of the castor changes and this could make it hard to turn just a idea.

Add to that, stick or mig, rod type and size, wire size and type, gas.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #8  
Too embarrassed to show closeup pictures here, but I have a weld on my gauge wheel setup that has broken twice. It is where the 2" tubing is welded to the jack body. Rather than explain how I tried to fix it (and had it break the second time), what is proper method for correcting a broken weld? Do I need to grind/cut away all traces of the original (bad) weld?

Thanks,
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Take it off and grind until it's clean to original. Weld a short piece of tubing on top of the long tubing so the jack mounting bracket can be fitted to the side of the tubing and welded on at least 3 sides. Box in the open tubing ends in if you like.

/ How to correct a bad weld. #9  
Looked at it more closely. Cut a plate, bolt it to the jacks and then bolt or weld plate to the main frame.:thumbsup:

No penetration, a little more heat? :)

/ How to correct a bad weld. #10  
I agree with Egonthat you really need a brace like this.

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 621