still learning to weld...heres a pic

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #1  

mcgill72143

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3320 Cab
heres another pic of a practice weld I did today.....im going to welding school in August but went ahead and bought a mig welder to get the feel for it.... :) ...the bottom weld was just me playing around with the settings...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 754
   / still learning to weld...heres a pic #2  
I think it looks pretty dame good for a beginer

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #3  
That looks great.

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #5  
I think it looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

I know you're just "playing around", and just starting out but a good habit to get into, is not to stop on a corner like that. Always try to stop in the center, weld from the outside to the center and stop, start on the other outside corner, and weld to the center. And always fill the crater!;)

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #6  
The weld at the top of the pic looks very nice except for the little crater at the end. The weld to the bottom right is well, let's just say it needs some more practice. Start by preping the metal down to clean steel. That weld has some serious undercut, no penetration, grind it out and try again. The third weld (vertically bottom left) pic doesnt show enough to tell. What were your settings, rod type, size? Go to WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin , there are a bunch of folks there that really help getting you going.

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #7  
The top weld looks as good as it gets, for me anyway.
Is this a 220 volt mig?

JB.

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #8  
I think it looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

I know you're just "playing around", and just starting out but a good habit to get into, is not to stop on a corner like that. Always try to stop in the center, weld from the outside to the center and stop, start on the other outside corner, and weld to the center. And always fill the crater!;)

Nice and Ditto what Shild Arc said! :thumbsup:

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic #9  
Looks good. Another secret is paint! I have kept a many of welds from washing a way in the rain.:D

/ still learning to weld...heres a pic
The weld at the top of the pic looks very nice except for the little crater at the end. The weld to the bottom right is well, let's just say it needs some more practice. Start by preping the metal down to clean steel. That weld has some serious undercut, no penetration, grind it out and try again. The third weld (vertically bottom left) pic doesnt show enough to tell. What were your settings, rod type, size? Go to WeldingWeb - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin , there are a bunch of folks there that really help getting you going.

the weld at the bottom right and also the one running vertical was me just playing with wire speed and settings...wasnt going for a good weld at all...lol......it was more of a "lets see what happens" kind of weld.....:thumbsup: