Stick, Mig or Tig

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #1  

Sulla

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20
For those that use all or at least two which method is your go to welder?

I've practiced with Mig and it seems pretty straight forward. I've have a very long way to go and the advice here has been helpful. Now I am trying to figure out what to buy for first machine, used of course.

Thanks

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #2  
It really depends on what your intended use is. Are you making repairs to thick material of fabricating thin stuff. What do you have available for voltage? How much do you want to spend? IMHO small stick welders are the best bang for your buck. But it took me longer to get the hang of stick, mig is (imo) easier to use but not as effective for the thick materials I usually weld. Are you looking to be a pro or a farm welder?

Matt

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #3  
I went with a DC stick (Everlast). My reasoning was that there was less to go wrong. I've watched my friend battle his with his liner causing constant hairballs of wire and then his gas running out mid-job or leaking down between jobs. We were also welding some round tube into an angle and he had problems reaching down into the crack.

Mind you, this is a Weldmark 110v wire welder and he is just an amateur hobbyist like me. I'm sure someone with more skill would do better and a little attention to detail when it comes to watching your gas gauge would solve all those problems. It kinda sucks when you go to weld something to find the gas bottle empty though. The local welding shop isn't open on the weekends either for a replacement.

GWH is right on with asking what you want to use it for. I don't anticipate welding any sheet metal. Most of my projects will be 1/8" or thicker metal.

Ian

/ Stick, Mig or Tig
GreatWhitehunter said:
It really depends on what your intended use is. Are you making repairs to thick material of fabricating thin stuff. What do you have available for voltage? How much do you want to spend? IMHO small stick welders are the best bang for your buck. But it took me longer to get the hang of stick, mig is (imo) easier to use but not as effective for the thick materials I usually weld. Are you looking to be a pro or a farm welder?

Matt

I aspire to be a farm welder. I'm clearing 45 acres for our family farm. I'm pretty rough on equipment and I'd rather not have to pay someone to fix everything. It is also very difficult to get to and from the property to have things repaired. I also want to do minor fabrication. Went back and forth on this a few months ago and never really got an answer. I figure everybody has an ideal and that is often different from reality. The machine you grab first is probably the one you like most, even if it isn't necessarily the perfect choice. That's the machine I want.

I've talked to a number of pro's who really like stick, but when I went to visit the shop it was the MIG front and center.

Power source will be a generator as I don't have any power at the property. I'm looking at 15 to 20 KW diesel machine.

My welds don't need to be pretty (though I'll try) just strong.

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #5  
I aspire to be a farm welder.

I'd say a regular ol' run of the mill 200+ amp ac buzz box would be ideal for you. No electronics to worry about like my DC inverter has.

Ian

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #6  
I bet 75% of the time we use the mig (Power mig 300). I can weld body panels and weld up pin holed metal or turn the machine up enough to weld heavy plate. It will scratch start tig and stick weld too but we use the other machine for that. Its the fastest and great for tacking things together without a hood, etc. The big bottles of gas last quite a long time. It probably lasts us a year. Forgot, with its push-pull python (50ft) we can weld aluminum. Welds aluminum ok, did our steak pockets and rails on our aluminum trailer, but the tig does the best if you can access it with the shorter lead.

Use the precision tig for more delicate/precise projects usually. Like building up the corners of a 1/2" carriage bolt... not something easily done with stick or even mig without having to grind it. Use the tig machine to stick when we need to weld something very thick, rusty, dirty, etc.

Last edited:
   / Stick, Mig or Tig #7  
Sulla,

Like 55acwd45 says - MIG can be pretty versatile .... and as you correctly observed it can be fairly easy to pick up.

I have a Lincoln PowerMig 215 .... and I've welded plate up to 1" thick with it (multipass) after being "trained" by my neighbor who is a professional welder. I only have it set up for .035 wire .... if I had the gear for smaller wire I'm sure thin sheetmetal would be no problem either. I also picked up the spoolgun for it and have welded aluminum as well.

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #8  
Stick is more versitle...no gas to deal with,bottle deposits are expensive.
Mig or Tig..only clean surfaces,not so with stick with the proper rod.
Grinders are your best friend.
I earned my living for 39 years as a professional(pipe) welder,used them all in all positions.The bulk of our welding was DC both gasoline and electric machines.
What do I have in my shop....AC buzz box.If you think you may want to Tig down the road buy a DC machine.
UA Local 117&73

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #9  
Don't forget you cannot weld outside if there is any wind with MIG, you can use flux core wire, if you machine will do that, and I think most do, but the welds are not as pretty as MIG. Stick is great in the wind, simpler, less to go wrong (no moving parts) and you can change the characteristics of the weld by just changing sticks, a 2 second process:) But it is harder to learn how to make pretty welds. I think all three ( four really counting flux core) processes have their place and their advantages, that's why all of them are still going strong in the marketplace. So you need all three! But if I were you, I would get a stick welder first, learn how, then get the others as time, needs, and money permitted. There you go, free advice... worth about as much as you paid for it:laughing:

James K0UA

/ Stick, Mig or Tig #10  
An AC only buzzbox is hard to beat for the backyard/farmer based welder. A lincoln AC 225 (the most common buzzbox welder of all time), Miller Thunderbolt (probably the 2nd most common buzzbox of all time), or Hobart Stickmate (currently made on same assembly line as Miller Thunderbolt) are a must have item for a crude backyard based shop in my opinion.

An AC buzzbox such as these units will actually do more than a welding alone. You actually have a very inexpensive mutipupose tool: Obviously they will weld metal (1/16" thick with practice and above of course), they will also cut metal (stick a 6011 in the stinger and crank the amps and you have a way to cut sheet and pierce holes). Also, build for nearly free or buy a factory made Twin Carbon arc torch for the AC buzzbox welder and you have a way to intensely heat metal for bending, freeing rusted nuts, brazing, silver soldering, flame fill welding, etc in a manner that does not require a gas based oxy/actylene based torch. Twin Carbon Arc will NOT cut metal so do not confuse it with carbon gouging which is a different process. Twin Carbon arc can produce a flame up to 1000 degrees hotter than oxy/acet can and do it cheaply.

These welders are as simple as it gets and there is very little to ever go wrong with them. I personally would not buy new one as plenty of used ones to be had for $75-$125 used on Craigslist. (If you add a little more money to the pool then you can even find same buzzbox with DC capability added for another $100 or so used but there is a little more to go wrong on DC capability units but worth having though). If and when you ever outgrow this welder then it will never depreciate and will still easily sell for the $75 to $125 that you paid for it. Personally, I will never get rid of my AC buzzbox as it is worth keeping around to power my Twin Carbon arc torch alone - even if I never used it for anything else.

Mig or wire feeders have their place too (primarly thin metal on cheaper priced Migs wire feeders) but they can get expensive too as there are simply more consumables. (gas if using Mig, tips for the gun, liners for the feed hose, feed rollers etc.). Mig or Wire feed with flux core is probably easier for a newbie to learn but it is a more limited tool in my opinion. Mig (with gas) has to be done indoors or wind blows shielding gas away. You can switch to fluxcore wire that does not use gas but then it will not weld as quit as thin of metal as Mig can - but you do gain some penetration on thicker metals. Flux core is not suited for body work - flux makes paint peel/bubble. Yes you can get wire feeders that will handle thick metal but they are big bucks. Mig or Wirefeed requires that metal be clean so not best suited for working on old rusty farm implements and metal salvaged from outdoor scrap piles.

Last edited: