Not pretty, but...

/ Not pretty, but... #1  

irvingj

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 MF GC2310 TLB
Didn't know if I wanted to put a pic of my welding on here, I'm strictly a beginner!

But I decided that I just couldn't live without hooks on my FEL any longer, and I don't have a large arc welder so I grabbed my oxy-acetylene set and started out....

Did the first hook (center) with my right hand on the right side, then tried the torch in my left hand for the left side; won't try that again. Not pretty, but I think it'll hold OK. Second hook went better, had a better idea of how much heat to use. One more hook to go.

Any comments? (How'd the student do?)

Should I even bother to try the wire-feed I have, or would that just not be up to the task? (It's a Lincoln 115V SP-125 PLUS with no gas, just flux-core wire.)

Attachments

• #1 center, rt side.JPG
    #1 center, rt side.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 580
  • #1 center, left side.JPG
    #1 center, left side.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 470
  • #2 rt, rt side.JPG
    #2 rt, rt side.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 451
  • #2 rt, left side.JPG
    #2 rt, left side.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 495
  • two hooks on!.JPG
    two hooks on!.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 471
   / Not pretty, but... #2  
Don't know if the Lincoln would be up to the job but I'd say your welds look good for O/A.

They should certainly hold.

When I have ****** welds I smear some "No More Gaps" in the cavities prior to painting - no one will know!

/ Not pretty, but... #3  
Don't know if the Lincoln would be up to the job but I'd say your welds look good for O/A.

They should certainly hold.

When I have ****** welds I smear some "No More Gaps" in the cavities prior to painting - no one will know!

Oh sure, let our secret out to just everybody!:D:D

Really I think most of the welds look pretty good, the left handed one is not as pretty, but you knew that. I bet they stay stuck!

James K0UA

/ Not pretty, but... #4  
I have a Lincoln Pro 100 wire welder and I use it for everything (including my bucket hooks). I have welded 1/4" and even thicker with it using multiple passes and it works, although I throw the breaker a lot on thicker metal. It's what I have so I use it and so far all my welds have held!

I'd say give yours a try, but make sure to use good wire in it (like Lincoln-branded wire). It makes a big difference. And for the record, your torch welds probably look better than my torch welds would...

/ Not pretty, but... #5  
With a little grinding and a cover pass of flux-core that left side weld might look better. You might even use it all around to spruce things up.

/ Not pretty, but... #6  
The first picture looks the best, but you need to add more filler to the crater. All the other welds I'd grind out and do again! ;)

/ Not pretty, but... #7  
The first picture looks the best, but you need to add more filler to the crater. All the other welds I'd grind out and do again! ;)

I second that !! Cleaning it up & knowing it won't fail is better than hoping it won't fail & being wrong. MikeD74T

/ Not pretty, but...
Thank you all for the great suggestions! I really hadn't thought of adding wire feed as filler before painting.

HiTechTed, thanks for the tip, though I have no idea what brand the wire is- bought the machine used, for a great price.

I, too felt it was more important to get deep penetration (don't we all wish for that- oops, sorry!) than to have it look good, though a smooth appearance is nice. I made sure metal was good & hot and almost melting as I was adding filler; that much I learned --the hard way:laughing:-- from the class I took a year or so ago. Saw a couple of my "jobs" pop right apart with a moderate hammer rap.:ashamed:

/ Not pretty, but...
'K- Thanks for the tip! I wasn't sure if I was remembering that part correctly.:thumbsup: