Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Default Not pretty, but...

Didn't know if I wanted to put a pic of my welding on here, I'm strictly a beginner!

But I decided that I just couldn't live without hooks on my FEL any longer, and I don't have a large arc welder so I grabbed my oxy-acetylene set and started out....

Did the first hook (center) with my right hand on the right side, then tried the torch in my left hand for the left side; won't try that again. Not pretty, but I think it'll hold OK. Second hook went better, had a better idea of how much heat to use. One more hook to go.

Any comments? (How'd the student do?)

Should I even bother to try the wire-feed I have, or would that just not be up to the task? (It's a Lincoln 115V SP-125 PLUS with no gas, just flux-core wire.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not pretty, but...-1-center-rt-side.jpg   Not pretty, but...-1-center-left-side.jpg   Not pretty, but...-2-rt-rt-side.jpg   Not pretty, but...-2-rt-left-side.jpg   Not pretty, but...-two-hooks-.jpg  

'07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Duetz DX3.70, Fendt 305LSA,260S & 205P,Kubota B6100E & 3 x B5100E & RTV900, Caterpillar 428C

Default Re: Not pretty, but...

Don't know if the Lincoln would be up to the job but I'd say your welds look good for O/A.

They should certainly hold.

When I have ****** welds I smear some "No More Gaps" in the cavities prior to painting - no one will know!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by allenr View Post
    Don't know if the Lincoln would be up to the job but I'd say your welds look good for O/A.

They should certainly hold.

When I have ****** welds I smear some "No More Gaps" in the cavities prior to painting - no one will know!

Oh sure, let our secret out to just everybody!

Really I think most of the welds look pretty good, the left handed one is not as pretty, but you knew that. I bet they stay stuck!

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kubota L3400

I have a Lincoln Pro 100 wire welder and I use it for everything (including my bucket hooks). I have welded 1/4" and even thicker with it using multiple passes and it works, although I throw the breaker a lot on thicker metal. It's what I have so I use it and so far all my welds have held!

I'd say give yours a try, but make sure to use good wire in it (like Lincoln-branded wire). It makes a big difference. And for the record, your torch welds probably look better than my torch welds would...

With a little grinding and a cover pass of flux-core that left side weld might look better. You might even use it all around to spruce things up.

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

The first picture looks the best, but you need to add more filler to the crater. All the other welds I'd grind out and do again!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Quote Originally Posted by Shield Arc View Post
    The first picture looks the best, but you need to add more filler to the crater. All the other welds I'd grind out and do again!
    I second that !! Cleaning it up & knowing it won't fail is better than hoping it won't fail & being wrong. MikeD74T

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I really hadn't thought of adding wire feed as filler before painting.

HiTechTed, thanks for the tip, though I have no idea what brand the wire is- bought the machine used, for a great price.

I, too felt it was more important to get deep penetration (don't we all wish for that- oops, sorry!) than to have it look good, though a smooth appearance is nice. I made sure metal was good & hot and almost melting as I was adding filler; that much I learned --the hard way-- from the class I took a year or so ago. Saw a couple of my "jobs" pop right apart with a moderate hammer rap.
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Quote Originally Posted by irvingj View Post
    and almost melting
    That's a problem right there! You want the metal melting before you dip the filler.

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

'K- Thanks for the tip! I wasn't sure if I was remembering that part correctly.
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast