cutting angle in bandsaw?

/ cutting angle in bandsaw? #1  

2manyrocks

How do you guys cut angle in your bandsaw? It seems to cut more square if I lay both sides down in the vice, but it wants to jump out of the vice unless I push down on it with a stick.

What's a better way?

Attachments

• angle cut.jpg
    angle cut.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 823
   / cutting angle in bandsaw? #2  
Thats how I cut angle iron. Book says to position the material where the least amount of teeth are in contact. What kind of vice do you have, cam lock, or screw?

Attachments

• Screw vice.jpg
    Screw vice.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,093
   / cutting angle in bandsaw? #3  
I do it the same way as 2manyrocks.
Never had it want to "jump out"

/ cutting angle in bandsaw? #4  
Same way here and never had any issues:thumbsup:

/ cutting angle in bandsaw? #5  
Thats how I cut angle iron. Book says to position the material where the least amount of teeth are in contact. What kind of vice do you have, cam lock, or screw?

I thought you wanted more teeth in contact, which is why you cut both sides at once instead of cutting the one side up,(and about 2 teeth) then way more on the flat after you have torn the teeth off by too little numberon the single side????
Maybe you are correct, but with the minimum teeth rule just not mentioned??
David from jax

Last edited:
   / cutting angle in bandsaw?
It is a screw type vice like you see on about every Taiwan/Chinese bandsaw.

I read the Ellis link, but didn't see an example of a jig to hold angle in place.

/ cutting angle in bandsaw? #8  
at work we have a bandsaw, and when I cut angle, to keep it from slipping out, I use a small piece of rectangle stock scrap against the open side of the angle, laid across the bottom. gives the vice something to grab on on that 'thin' side.

I do the same in a drill press vice table..

soundguy

/ cutting angle in bandsaw? #9  
Thats how i cut it with my Jet band saw and ive never had it try to jump out. I use adjustable roller guide on the floor to support the long end. Ive never had an issue.

/ cutting angle in bandsaw? #10  
I tore up an almost $45.00 blade cutting a piece of pipe with my saw, all because the cam lock vice let the pipe move. That's when I bought the screw vice!

Attachments

• Pipe clamp 1.jpg
    Pipe clamp 1.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 805