Plasma Cutter Choices

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #1  

Perplexed

Silver Member
Let me say right from the start, I am NOT bashing Everlast! Having said that, I was looking online for possible choices in a plasma cutter that can quality-cut 1/2" mild steel. I'm not working with that thick of a steel at this time, but I can see where in the future that may happen, and I'd like to have the equipment at that time.

So I've looked at the Hypertherm Powermax 45, Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme, Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52, and Everlast PowerPlasma 50 or 60 (for the Infineon IGBT inverter). They all look good on paper, but...

The Everlast models are up to half the price of the other ones I mentioned. Half! I can see where big-brand name recognition would play a part in the difference in prices, but surely it can't account for the whole difference. What is Everlast doing that they can offer their plasma cutters for so much less? Anyone have any experience with the current generation of PowerPlasma 50 or 60, that they can compare to the others on my list?

I will say that at this point, the Powermax 45 has my nod, if for no other reason than the cross-cut drag cutting tip that lets you rest the cutter right on the material being cut. Trying to maintain free-hand a gap of 1/16 of an inch is something I suck at while trying to stick to the desired path of cutting...

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #2  
I use a Miller 375 and have not been dissapointed. However the tips are more expensive than some but very durable. I often drag the tips on with this and it's no problem for me on good clean steel. This is a 110/220 unit which is quite handy at times. Needless to say the 110 useage is much more limited than the full voltage. It is also small enough to transport easily.
I have it along with my Miller 211 mounted on the same cart so it's handy as he!!!! if you know what I mean...
What ever you choose you be very pleased having a Plasma Cutter in you tool line IMG_3691.JPG

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #3  
No comparison available because all I have is a PowerPlasma 70. It cuts just like advertised. Recently Everlast had a special on a free upgraded torch with the purchase of a PowerPlasma. Not sure if it is still in effect. Maybe it would be a "contact" torch. The secret is in how the tip is constructed.

Holding the gap is a bit difficult in inexperienced hands. With practice, my skills have gotten much better so it is just a matter of time spent on task.

Also, I've found it much easier to hold the correct gap when using a guide, such as a 2x4, to make straight-line cuts. If you can weld consistently with 6010 or 6011 then a plasma torch will be second nature.

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #4  
The PP 50 can drag cut up to 30 amps without major issues. Above that it will drag, but cuts down on consumable life.

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #5  
....So I've looked at the Hypertherm Powermax 45, Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme, Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52, and Everlast PowerPlasma 50 or 60 (for the Infineon IGBT inverter). They all look good on paper, but...I will say that at this point, the Powermax 45 has my nod, if for no other reason than the cross-cut drag cutting tip that lets you rest the cutter right on the material being cut...

I purchased the Hypertherm Powermax 45, primarily because of their great reputation and, most importantly, I always try to buy American made products!
regards,
Steve

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #7  
Steve,
You mean American assembled out of global components?:laughing:

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #8  
I wish I could tell you that my pp60 makes quality cuts but my hand is just not stable enough. I'm also not a good free hand drawer. I guess if I took the time to hone my skills I would get better but I just don't see that happening so even if another brand made nicer cuts it would be totally wasted on me.

/ Plasma Cutter Choices #9  
My Hypertherm 1250 makes quality cuts. :laughing:

Attachments

• Oval.jpg
    Oval.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 699
   / Plasma Cutter Choices #10  
I have a hypermax (hypertherm) 1000, and can cut up to 1" steel. I really think i get better cuts on the thicker metals than i do on the very thin metals, even when i use the fine cut consumables.

Attachments

• P7261326.jpg
    P7261326.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 694