7018 Break test.

/ 7018 Break test. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
1/8-inch Lincoln Excalibur 7018, this rod has never seen the inside of a rod oven. Been setting on the bench in an open can. Took 18-blows with a 4-pound hammer to break the plates. Then I had to put the plates in the vice and beat the top plate back the other direction!

/ 7018 Break test. #2  
that is why we use it at work.

Any pre heat on the plates? It is crazy how much that does matter. but may only add up to one or two blows more

I wonder what new hot rod and preheat would come out as? Maybe try high yield steel and 8018?

Looks good.

Have a good weekend

/ 7018 Break test.
I did a break test with 7018 right out of the oven. Not sure if I posted the results on this site or not, but it seems as I remember it took somewhere in the low 20's to break the plates.

/ 7018 Break test. #4  
I really enjoy these threads on break tests. I finally picked me up a 5lb box of 7018's yesterday. Gonna try them out on my backhoe today.

Chad

/ 7018 Break test. #5  
Most welding procedures including AWS only require a minimum of 50 degrees F preheat for mild steel (A-36 plate and similar) and that is only to remove any residual moisture upon initial arc strike. Higher preheat on low carbon steel adds no value to the toughness. Chrome alloys require preheat to avoid hardening of the metal and thus lowering ductility. Some of the high manganese and high carbon steels also need preheating to around 200F to prevent root pass cracking. Most of the metals used in fabrication are A 36 grade and just dont require anything above 50 F to start welding on them. AWS welding procedures dont allow use of any 60xx series rods, only 70xx and higher.

/ 7018 Break test. #6  
i forgot to add that on mild steel in thickness above 3/4" you need to preheat to 150F minimum prior to welding. 3/4" thick and below stay with the 50F requirement and if welding a thick piece to a thinner piece, use the thicker of the sections as your go by.

/ 7018 Break test. #8  
Mine too. You can weld a lot of stuff with 7018 including stainless and cast steel and it will hold together. You cant do that with 60xx rods.

/ 7018 Break test. #9  
So for us that don't know .... 18 blows with a 4 lb hammer ... is that good?

/ 7018 Break test.
So for us that don't know .... 18 blows with a 4 lb hammer ... is that good?

That's not a bad question, but the real question is, would you walk out on something 200-feet in the air that I welded with 7018?:eek:

I will, and have many times.;)