Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings?

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
I have not been in the shop for a while and have got rusty. Are the settings for the gauges pretty close, set at 10 and 30 for cutting up to 1/2 inch steel? We have Victor gauges.The 2 new guys keep me busy keeping the tips cleaned. They are getting too close to the work. One other problem they are having is the flame popping before the cut has even started. Refresher tips needed! Ken Sweet

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #2  
I have not been in the shop for a while and have got rusty. Are the settings for the gauges pretty close, set at 10 and 30 for cutting up to 1/2 inch steel? We have Victor gauges.The 2 new guys keep me busy keeping the tips cleaned. They are getting too close to the work. One other problem they are having is the flame popping before the cut has even started. Refresher tips needed! Ken Sweet

I recall it being more like 5 and 17 for half inch.

EDIT: it is actualy more like 5 and 30.

Last edited:
   / Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #3  
From what I remember reading in the victor book and what ive used ever since.... 5-6 psi acety 35-40 psi O2. O2 tank valve wide open, acet tank valve never more than 1/4 turn open to eliminate overdraw. Set acet side of cutting handle to a blowing smokeless flame, wide open on the O2 side, then add O2 bypass feed knob till you get a 1 1/2 sharp blue flame for preheat. Heat to a glow and have at it with the handle to apply the cutting O2. If its popping out, your not running enough acetylene in the mix, or over applying preheat O2

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #4  
We were running about 7 on the Acetylene and 40 for the O2 for cutting 1/4" -3/8" in class.

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #5  
Also the popping is caused by one or both of two things, The tip is dirty or mashed up. Clean all the holes with a torch tip cleaner. Also likely not enough gas flow to keep it cool. More Ace to start, then adjust oxy 3rd valve for neutral flame. If some of the holes are mashed shut.. get a new tip.

James K0UA

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #6  
i would set it 5 ac and 40 ox .

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #7  
We were running about 7 on the Acetylene and 40 for the O2 for cutting 1/4" -3/8" in class.

woah, that is a bit to much, welders handbook says like 5 acetylene and 20 o2 for 1/4 inch.

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #8  
I had the same question. Went to our the LWS and got a pocket card that lists the pressure settings for both gases by tip size and material thicknesses. BTW, you can get similar cards for the various welding processes. This at least gives you a starting point.

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #9  
woah, that is a bit to much, welders handbook says like 5 acetylene and 20 o2 for 1/4 inch.
Dunno. We did very little cutting, mostly just to get parts to weld in the thicker stuff (3/8"). This was how he had us set it up and it seemed to work fine.

/ Initial Acetelyne cutting torch gauge settings? #10  

I'll have to double check mine, but 40 sounds way high to me. I keep them as low as possible and never had a problem cutting, have not had to adjust them in so long that's why I can't remember what they're set at.

JB