Welding Pot Metal

/ Welding Pot Metal #1  

pate

Tractor
international 504 diesel, allmand backhoe
Is welding Pot Metal possible? Is it as strong as new when done? Where is this done at?

/ Welding Pot Metal #2  
As far as I know, there is no way to weld pot metal, you might be able to solder it, but even that is doubtful. The only way I would recomend is something like JB weld, but only if it is a non critical part. What is the object in question, it might be better to replace it.

/ Welding Pot Metal #3  
As far as I know, there is no way to weld pot metal, you might be able to solder it, but even that is doubtful. The only way I would recomend is something like JB weld, but only if it is a non critical part. What is the object in question, it might be better to replace it.

braze it?

/ Welding Pot Metal #4  
pot metal is any number of common low melting point metals in an allow... zinc, aluminum.. etc.. etc. takes realatively non sophisticated casting technology and is easier to work with..e tc.. makes cheap and easy to manufacture light weight castings..

since the metalurgy is uncertain.. at best.. I'd braze it. that will be a little stronger than solder.

save the jb weld for something it's designed for.

properly cleaned and prepped metal should braze fine and be decently strong, again.. depending on specific application.

more info from the OP would be helpfull in determining a repair mode..

soundguy

/ Welding Pot Metal #5  
Pot metal has a much lower melting point then brass, so I dont think brazing would work. I suggested JB weld because if you arnt very good at soldering, you could easly melt or deform the part quite a bit with the torch. (I have melted a chunk of aluminum with a soldering torch, not that hard to do with pot metal) If you used a solder like 60 40, with a low melting point, it wouldnt be very hard to do a good job soldering it, just not all that strong.

/ Welding Pot Metal #7  
   / Welding Pot Metal #8  
Pot metal has a much lower melting point then brass, so I dont think brazing would work. I suggested JB weld because if you arnt very good at soldering, you could easly melt or deform the part quite a bit with the torch. (I have melted a chunk of aluminum with a soldering torch, not that hard to do with pot metal) If you used a solder like 60 40, with a low melting point, it wouldnt be very hard to do a good job soldering it, just not all that strong.

Shieldarc picked up on what I was infering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing

in actuality.. brazing itself is not denote a specific filler metal. hard soldering is actually brazing with a silver alloy.. ie.. silver soldering..

'brazing' does not solely refer to melting brass or brass alloys. Brazing can refer to silver soldering and can also be used to describe the easilly available aluminum safe rods with are particularly usefull for repair pot metal.

again.. this info is easy to research on the net.

I believe alum-alloy is one of the more popular ones.

I have some at home I got from northern tools. not sure the brand name.. but they are ok for aluminum, zinc, brass, etc.. anything you can't weld, or cant take the heat of yellow metal brazing.

ps.. pot metal can contain iron, cadmium, lead, copper, tin, magnesium.. etc

soundguy

/ Welding Pot Metal #9  
I know that is the actual meaning of brazing, but I just normaly think of brazing as in brass brazing, so that was a mistake on my part.

/ Welding Pot Metal #10  
I looked at their site, from that, it sounds like it would work. Depending on the part, it might not be worth it due to the minimum order, and cost.

as I mentioned.. northern tool carries small packs of the aluminum allow rod.

harbor freight does too:

Aluminum Welding Rods - Pack of 8

soundguy