Which Stick Welder for a New Welder?

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #101  
   / Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #102  
i love my hobart. it welds awesome. i like it better than the old lincoln tombstone at work.

however.. if I was on a budget today looking for a new one.. I'd look at that 200a northen tools unit for 150$ darn hard to beat that price... :)

soundguy

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #104  
yep.

i just noticed them a couple months ago myself.

I see they are on sale fro 139$ wow... cheap amps.. cheaper than harbor freight by a huge margin..

soundguy

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder?

I haven't seen that. I do have a c-list app for my android phone - just input what you're looking for, what area and any filters (e.g., price) and it'll notify me when a new item is listed.

Someone was advertizing a welder on the local radio station for $40. Of course you don't know what kind of condition it was in.

Ian

Welders advertised on the radio? Reminds me of driving through nowhere arkansas and hearing the local obituaries read, except w/ a personal touch. lol.

yep.

i just noticed them a couple months ago myself.

I see they are on sale fro 139$ wow... cheap amps.. cheaper than harbor freight by a huge margin..

soundguy

cheap, but you have to wonder what the duty cycle is - it says 10% @180a - I assume it's a whole lot better at lower amps.

iirc, the hobart stickmate's only 20% duty cycle at similar amps, so maybe it's not too bad.

just when you thought you had life smoothed life out, a new wrinkle appears. i fly up to WA next week to interview w/ BNSF. it means an increase in money, benefits, insurance and other things (i.e., steady money) i haven't had since i went into business for myself. only problem is that i likely wouldn't be in WA for long and then i'd have to move again. so i may not buy a welder until things flesh out a little. may have to even sell the tractor - heaven forbid.

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #106  
can't assume it's linear.. but then.. I do very little welding at 180a. i do most of my welding at 90-110a

I'm sure the duty ycle on my hobart stickmate 235a is quite low at 200a.. though it is 100% at 100a

soundguy

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #107  
So what happened? What welder did you buy? Mine quit today ... so I was searching ac/dc and found this ...

Last edited:
   / Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #108  
I just bought a Pa 140 off mark from everlast.Ordered it 10 days ago it's on back order.

From all the feedback from this thread you guys convinced me to try the inverter Welders.

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #109  
I just bought a Pa 140 off mark from everlast.Ordered it 10 days ago it's on back order.

From all the feedback from this thread you guys convinced me to try the inverter Welders.

Bummer on the wait, but I think you'll be happy with it - and you can carry it around in your pocket :) Have you done any DC welding before?

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #110  
I just bought a miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick welder to replace my trusty old century ac/dc.

Ive only used the new one once so far, but LOVE it