Which Stick Welder for a New Welder?

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #21  
deereman75 if you ever get the chance to run a Lincoln Invertec V350-Pro, jump on it! It's amazing the control you have over the puddle with this machine. I'd like to test drive a Miller XMT 350 to compare the two.

Attachments

• V350 Pro 1.jpg
    V350 Pro 1.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 454
  • V350 Pro 2.jpg
    V350 Pro 2.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 381
   / Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #22  
I sure would, that sounds like a great machine. How does it compare to your lincoln SA-200s?

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #23  
i'm a lil late to the thread, and appologize if it has been mentioned. but i was browsing the northern tool catalog and see they have a 200? a ac stick welder for some ridiculess low price of like 150$

if I was int he market for a 240v stick welder.. can't see not going to at least look at that one. I have a hobart 235xl stickmate ac model that I love.. but heck.. I paif 235$ for it on sale at tsc years ago.. am sure it's mor elike 260$ or more now... that's over 100$ more than the NT one.

soundguy

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #24  
i'm a lil late to the thread, and appologize if it has been mentioned. but i was browsing the northern tool catalog and see they have a 200? a ac stick welder for some ridiculess low price of like 150$

if I was int he market for a 240v stick welder.. can't see not going to at least look at that one. I have a hobart 235xl stickmate ac model that I love.. but heck.. I paif 235$ for it on sale at tsc years ago.. am sure it's mor elike 260$ or more now... that's over 100$ more than the NT one.

soundguy

They also have re-conditioned ones $99, less they I payed for my old lincoln tombstone. Although my lincoln is already 30 years old (and going strong), and I doubt the northern will last half that.

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #25  
i imagine my good old xformered b=hobart will be here a while too. thing weighs a ton... hols the corner of the shop down so it dobn't blow away.. :)

need longer work leads though. next time I see some good heavy copepr leads at the scrapper i'm opening the wallet. course.. adding to that list I need 25 more foot of gasline on my torches too :)

soundguy

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #26  
Thanks for the info and opinions. Really good to know that long power leads are not a problem. Getting 220 to the metal building isn't as high on the list of things to do, needs to be done, just not as soon.

Regarding the easier striking of an inverter unit, could you make striking the arc easier by turning up your amps a little? I know your facing burn through so you'd obviously have to be careful. In other words, how useful/necessary is the "hot start"?

I have stick welded, a little. I managed to break my brush hog and my friend who welded it back together let me run some beads. So I know I'll like it, but it did seem a challenge to strike the arc - my friend told me that he should have turned up the amps to make it easier.

As I mentioned earlier, I've always wanted to learn to weld, but never made it a priority. Now, I sit at the office wondering how early I can leave and go home and practice welding.:D

@K0ua or anyone I'm not familiar w/ #8 SO cord. What is it?

#8 refers to the size of the wire,inside the jacket of the 3 wire cable. example number 12 is your normal outlet wireing size 20-25 amp rating number 8 is about 40-50 amp rating.. it is not as simple as all that of course. it depends on many factors as to the current rating, temp, wire bundle size. insulation etc etc.
SO cord is a black rubber (neoprene?) insulated bundled cord usually for hooking up machines or making power cords. in my case it is 3 conductor 8 guage, with a fine stranded copper conductors inside so that it is a limp cord without any "memory" I dont know for sure what the SO stands for, maybe service, Oil or something. like that, anyway, it is the normal stuff you want for making power cords.

SO Cable SO Cord(SO / SOW / SOOW Cable)

James K0UA

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #27  
How does it compare to your lincoln SA-200s?

Night and day, night and day, not even on the same planet. The 350-Pro has so much control over the puddle, you can wet the puddle out, or dry it up with the arc force. The hot start is amazing, turn it all the way up, and it is 100 % of the amp setting. I have to turn it all the way down for tacking, or it will blow holes in the material!

This is not to say the SA-200's are bad, but they are limited. They also have one of the nicest SMAW arcs you'll ever see.

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder?

soundguy

Nope, not late and it hadn't been mentioned either. But I did read your thread about the NT welders earlier today. I'm having the same problem you did. I can't find very detailed specs and there aren't any NTs around here. Duty cycle shows 10% at 180. Does that mean it's 0% at 200? ;) They warranty is 12 months parts only - somehow I doubt they'd cover shipping. Also, $35 for shipping.

Also, if Mark is right - that those are just the chinese transformer machines - it brings up the same concerns I have w/ Everlast.

BTW Soundguy your stickmate is $320 - I was looking at 'em earlier on the web. Working for myself means I can screw off at work and not get in trouble - I just get behind. lol.

I may get tired of waiting for c-list and buy the everlast.

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder?
#8 refers to the size of the wire,inside the jacket of the 3 wire cable. example number 12 is your normal outlet wireing size 20-25 amp rating number 8 is about 40-50 amp rating.. it is not as simple as all that of course. it depends on many factors as to the current rating, temp, wire bundle size. insulation etc etc.
SO cord is a black rubber (neoprene?) insulated bundled cord usually for hooking up machines or making power cords. in my case it is 3 conductor 8 guage, with a fine stranded copper conductors inside so that it is a limp cord without any "memory" I dont know for sure what the SO stands for, maybe service, Oil or something. like that, anyway, it is the normal stuff you want for making power cords.

SO Cable SO Cord(SO / SOW / SOOW Cable)

James K0UA

I kinda assumed the 8 was the guage, but the SO lost me. thanks.

/ Which Stick Welder for a New Welder? #30  
I would just buy a miller thunderbolt AC or a lincoln AC tombstone to start with. It will last forever, where as I doubt the everlast would last 10 years. And the old buzz boxes are alot cheeper. (you will always get your money back when you re sell it, good luck doing that with an everlast)