Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection

/ Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection #1  

sldva00

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520 CUT
I just got the Powermax30 during this past week. Finally had time to set it up. I noticed that the air inlet quick connection on the unit moves a little bit from side to side. It feels like whatever it is connected to on the inside moves a little. Is this normal?

It was packaged well with foam wrapping. There was a lot of foam particles around the inlet, like it had been scrapping the foam off. Did it get damaged during transport?

Another question: When I was searching Hypertherm's site. I noticed that there was an air filter available in the accessary link. I read that the unit works best with clean air. My compressor does produce a lot of moisture. (I open the release valve at the bottom of tank after every use to let the water drip, but moisture is everywhere in my neck of the woods.) So I ordered the air filter as well. Now, the Powermax 30 isn't setup for the filter...very disappointed. I have extra quick connects, so attached a female on one side and the male on the other side of the filter. When I attach it to the unit, it is further out than I like. Is the extra weight of the couplings and filter going to damage the inlet on the unit? Since it moves a little bit, I don't want the movement to get worse.

I appreciate any help/advice.

Last edited:
   / Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection #2  
I have a hypertherm 1000, and you have to keep all moisture out of the unit.....it will destroy the consumable tips very fast. I use a refrigerated dryer and a air/water separator pressure regulator. I also have an in-line membrane dryer for the last ditch protection. None are attached to the plasma dryer itself. there all placed nearer the air compressor.

The air attachment unit in my cutter moves a little bit also. not sure why actually.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection #3  
The fitting is connected to the Internal filter. I did not like the way it moved either. so took the cover off the unit and reinforced the air filter Just to be safe. Here is what I use to filter air Everything is connected to the cart so it is dedicated to the Plasma cutter. Maybe a little over kill.

Attachments

• DSC00365.JPG
    DSC00365.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,218
   / Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection
...The air attachment unit in my cutter moves a little bit also. not sure why actually.

The fitting is connected to the Internal filter. I did not like the way it moved either. so took the cover off the unit and reinforced the air filter Just to be safe. Here is what I use to filter air Everything is connected to the cart so it is dedicated to the Plasma cutter. Maybe a little over kill.

Thanks for the replies. I guess a little movement is normal. I won't worry about it.

This is my first cutter of any sort. I only used my compressor to fill tires so I never bothered with filters. I think I need more than just the filter that Hypertherm has. What is that you have connected to the unit tonylumps? I want to get one also. I don't think it's overkill. I use two filters for my diesel truck (the FASS filter and the OEM filter). Well maybe I also believe in overkill:D.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection #5  
It is perfectly normal for the air inlet connection to have a bit of flex to it on a Powermax30. If anything...I would suggest leaving it as it is designed, as the flex is designed to compensate for normal assembly tolerances necessary for the use of screw together plumbing fittings.

The Hypertherm filter assembly is normally plumbed to your shop air system....not mounted on the plasma system. It should then be connected to the plasma with a length of 3/8" ID hose. This filter has an auto drain for moisture, however it is a good idea to drain your compressor tank daily, or to install an auto drain directly on the compressor tank.

Moisture will affect consumable life with any air plasma system. Just as important...moisture will cause internal issues with spray painting as well as almost any air tool.

Thank you for purchasing a Hypertherm plasma. I have worked for Hypertherm for 34 years (we are an employee owned company) and would be happy to help you out if you have any questions or concerns! The Powermax 30 is the smallest plasma system that we offer....our systems start at 30 amps and go to 800 amps for cutting up to 6-1/4" materials.

Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

I just got the Powermax30 during this past week. Finally had time to set it up. I noticed that the air inlet quick connection on the unit moves a little bit from side to side. It feels like whatever it is connected to on the inside moves a little. Is this normal?

It was packaged well with foam wrapping. There was a lot of foam particles around the inlet, like it had been scrapping the foam off. Did it get damaged during transport?

Another question: When I was searching Hypertherm's site. I noticed that there was an air filter available in the accessary link. I read that the unit works best with clean air. My compressor does produce a lot of moisture. (I open the release valve at the bottom of tank after every use to let the water drip, but moisture is everywhere in my neck of the woods.) So I ordered the air filter as well. Now, the Powermax 30 isn't setup for the filter...very disappointed. I have extra quick connects, so attached a female on one side and the male on the other side of the filter. When I attach it to the unit, it is further out than I like. Is the extra weight of the couplings and filter going to damage the inlet on the unit? Since it moves a little bit, I don't want the movement to get worse.

I appreciate any help/advice.

/ Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection #6  
Thanks for the replies. I guess a little movement is normal. I won't worry about it.

This is my first cutter of any sort. I only used my compressor to fill tires so I never bothered with filters. I think I need more than just the filter that Hypertherm has. What is that you have connected to the unit tonylumps? I want to get one also. I don't think it's overkill. I use two filters for my diesel truck (the FASS filter and the OEM filter). Well maybe I also believe in overkill:D.

That little filter connected to the cutter has a little window so I could see the pellets .If they change colors than moisture is passing the other 2. I do not think that will happen ,But you never know. It is a Motorguard sold in pairs.The black filter is a Motorguard Paper filter And the yellow pipe is a Dessicant filter that I got from HF. When I mounted all of the filters I used High Flow Fittings Just to make sure I had Volume as well as Pressure.Some good advice over at Welding web and Hobart weld talk. But for Hypertherm None better than Jim Colt. He Monitors almost all of those Forums as well as this one This is also my first Plasma cutter One of the best tools that I own.I use it to cut everything .I just plug it in and hook up air . My torches are only used to Heat and bend now. Great piece of equipment Good luck with it

/ Hypertherm Powermax 30 air connection
That little filter connected to the cutter has a little window so I could see the pellets .If they change colors than moisture is passing the other 2. I do not think that will happen ,But you never know. It is a Motorguard sold in pairs.The black filter is a Motorguard Paper filter And the yellow pipe is a Dessicant filter that I got from HF. When I mounted all of the filters I used High Flow Fittings Just to make sure I had Volume as well as Pressure.Some good advice over at Welding web and Hobart weld talk. But for Hypertherm None better than Jim Colt. He Monitors almost all of those Forums as well as this one This is also my first Plasma cutter One of the best tools that I own.I use it to cut everything .I just plug it in and hook up air . My torches are only used to Heat and bend now. Great piece of equipment Good luck with it

Thanks, appreciate the info.:thumbsup:

...The Hypertherm filter assembly is normally plumbed to your shop air system....not mounted on the plasma system. It should then be connected to the plasma with a length of 3/8" ID hose...Jim Colt jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Thanks Jim, I was hoping you would respond. The instructions on the filter state to install as close to the unit as possible, not at the compressor. Maybe the instructions are referring to the Powermax 45?