Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #21  
We started buying Hilti 4 1/2" and 7" grinders at my shop 2 years ago and I will tell you it was worth the investment. Our guys beat the snot out of them and they run all day every day without fail. I am not a fan of cheap tools. I prefer to buy it once and keep it for 20 years

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy
That's the spirit, fix up the old one.:thumbsup: I have thought about replacing tools numerous times, until I priced a new one. I have been teased beyond telling about fixin' old tools instead of replacing.:laughing: I take a lot of them to work and get harassed by all my mechanic coworkers.
hugs, Brandi

Well if it was my B&D industrial, I would fix it for sure. The reason I was considering replacement for this one is, it is a clarke strongarm, that my grandpa got at princess auto, like 15 years ago, for under $20. (hardly used, until I got it)

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #23  
I allways buy the one-but cheapest model of a mainstream brand like Hitachi.
Buying the cheapest you get what you pay for. buying expensive, you get crap like soft-start (i dont intend waiting on the grinder to accelerate, it annoys me) or fancy looking handles.
lets start with a 50 dollar grinder: when you add 20 bucks and buy the one but cheapest for 70 bucks, you get a tool with double the lifetime. When you add another 20 bucks on top of that, you get gizmos but maybe a 10% longer lifespan over the 70 bucks grinder. In other words, the one-but-cheapest is the most bang for the buck, IMHO.

For drills, you cant get them strong enough. I burned my 500w drill while drilling 10mm in steel, which is (within) the limit for this drill, as written on the label. Right now i bought an 800W with hi and low speed: with lower revs, drills dont get burned blue, and with the gear reduction, the motor does neither.

With the welder we had a 180A hobby MIG for 700 euro. It was used quite a bit and every 1.5 year it needed a 350 euro repair when spools burned: that happened twice, so the cost of the machine over 4 years was 1400 euro. Then i bought a semi-pro 350A machine for 1400 euro, which should be able to hold up at least 10 years without repair: So more fun, and cheaper in the long run.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #24  
I've got one that is my favorite, and have used it for quite sometime doing cup brush duty. It's something like 7 amps, and was branded GMC from Lowe's. Its variable speed and has the rear grip design. That was about 8 years ago...started to cut in and out...Guess I finally got the brushes. Oh well. 29.99 down the drain.

Got a 10 amp DeWalt and a couple of HF grinders as well. Got a 9 inch 39.99 Cheapo too. If you can get up the muscle to hold it up and tolerate the slow wind up speed, when it gets to rolling, you can stand on it and it won't die. I've had to start using 7 inch disks, just to much to deal with the 9".

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #25  
Looked at a whole bunch yesterday. Very few were #1 choice. Seems like most MFG. have dropped the 3rd handle mount that goes on top. I use it in that position a lot. Most of the real good or better ones were to heavy or bulky.

May just stick with the El Cheepo's and several of them. 3 Now and about 3 to go.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #26  
Can't beat this offer from RIGID tools. I just bought a rigid and sent in the lifetime warranty paper work. ..........RIDGIDョ Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts ...........

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R1005-Angle-Grinder/EN/index.htm

LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT FOR RIDGIDョ HAND HELD POWER TOOLS, STATIONARY POWER TOOLS AND PNEUMATIC TOOLS

In addition to the 3-Year Limited Service Warranty currently included with RIDGIDョ Brand Hand Held Power Tools Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools, purchasers of these products may elect for a limited time to receive a free Lifetime Service Agreement. To accept this Lifetime Service Agreement, you must register your product and submit proof of purchase as described below. The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGIDョ Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth below.

The Lifetime Service Agreement is available free of charge, for a limited time on all RIDGIDョ Brand hand held power tools, stationary power tools and pneumatic tools, subject to the terms and conditions stated below. Customers have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy
I have to say, if I was getting another angle grinder, it would be one of the old all metal skil industrial 7 inch grinders, those things last for ever. My current 7 inch will probably never die either.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #28  
Cat driver, Good luck with the Ridgid lifetime warranty. Take it to an independant authorized service center. Every time I take something back to HD, they always find a reason to deny and charge for the repairs. Usually it is because it is "Dirty inside" I have 2 Ridgid coil roofing nailers that I bought for the warranty, and that is their excuse for any reason I bring them in. Took them to a repair place out here, Not HD, but Ridgid authorized SC, and it was fixed in 1 day , no charge. Good warranty, poor store customer service.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #29  
I found a supplier with Maktec. It`s makita at 75% of the price. It`s been great quality and I used it in abusive conditions. Dewalts have plastic gears, so if you have heavy load grinding they fail, otherwise they`re really smooth. I tried discount brands but they were a waste of money.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #30  
I have a Black and Decker Firestorm 4.5" that has held up well. I was given a lowes card for my birthday and that fit the bill. It is well built and I havent had any issues to mention.
Edit: Dad has a cordless Rigid drill for 7-8 years now and it has held up wonderfully. They have replaced the batteries 2-3 times, the entire drill once (the trigger died and the part was NLA, so he got a whole new drill)

Aaron Z