Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well my backup angle grinder, a cheep old clarke strongarm, finally needs replacement. I was using it with a wire wheel, to try and clean rust and paint off the bender I am building, and the side handle snapped in half. This thing vibrates alot, and is way too loud (compared to my makita), so I am not going to bother replacing the side handle, and will just get a new one. I have a short body makita 5 inch, which I love, but I want to know what would be better. I am thinking either another makita, a milwaukee, a dewalt, or a bosch, which would be better, and which should I stay away from.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #2  
That's like asking what tractor or pickup to buy. Personally, I like Dewalt. I've gotten good service from all of my Dewalt tools and that's all I buy. Others may like something else, but that's my preference.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy
That's like asking what tractor or pickup to buy. Personally, I like Dewalt. I've gotten good service from all of my Dewalt tools and that's all I buy. Others may like something else, but that's my preference.

Ya I agree it is a question that more asks opionions, I just dont know how good differnt ones are, I have only used a chineese clarke, a makita, and a b&d industrial 7 inch. I am a bit of a milwaukee fan, so I am thinking I might get one of those. (if it works as well as my half inch magnum, I will be happy)

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #4  
When I go to buy a grinder, brand doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I look at speed, amps, and weight, then price.

Attachments

• Grinders.JPG
    Grinders.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 676
Shield Arc that is the best advise about buying a grinder I have ever heard. I see you have some dewalts, how long are they lasting you?

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #6  
The large 7 / 9-inch DeWalt I've had for a year or two. Supposedly it's the replacement for the Black & Decker Wild Cat next to it, I've had it for 26 years, and only replaced the brushes, and switch. So far the DeWalt has been real good. The 4-inch DeWalt I've had for 3 or 4 years no complaints at all. I'll never buy another DeWalt die grinder. The one you see in the picture I've had for 11-years no problems, bought another one, it didn't last at all, took it into the repair center, they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so in the round file it went. I bought the Makita to replace the DeWalt, so far it's been real good.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #7  
I had a friend who owned several angle grinders and his favourite place to purchase them was...Princess Auto. They can't be beat for price and warranty. He bought the cheap ones when they were on sale and they either failed quite quickly and got replaced or they lasted a good long time. He never had to swap out blades/discs etc, just grab a different grinder when he needed a different "tool" on it.

I had a friend who owned several angle grinders and his favourite place to purchase them was...Princess Auto. They can't be beat for price and warranty. He bought the cheap ones when they were on sale and they either failed quite quickly and got replaced or they lasted a good long time. He never had to swap out blades/discs etc, just grab a different grinder when he needed a different "tool" on it.

I first tried multiple grinders with differnt wheels yesterday, with a grinding wheel on the elcheepo that broke today, and a cutoff wheen on the makita, it was so much faster, because I needed both discs constantly. Until I get a replacement grinder, I will just use my 7 inch with a cut off wheel, and the makita with a grinding wheel.

/ Which 4.5 inch angle grinder to buy #9  
My first one was a craftsman one and it worked well. but it cost a fair amount of money. It finally died and was replaced with the HF el-cheapo ones These come with spare brushes,which I thought either was a good touch or was there becasue it would burn up brushes quickly.They arent very powerful but take a heck of abuse.And Im not gentle to set it down.lol
As previously said its how much and how you use it..