Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #21  
I would have to admit to never being taught anything about shock hazards in welding class. At least not that I remember.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #22  
Then what is direct current?

I was an electronics tech on a diesel electric U-boat. We were always told that DC will kill you faster than AC.

I've seen me welding outside in the rain, using DC.

I really should be dead, laying in puddles with the leads from my old AC buzz box under me, on top of me etc :eek:
This label is on my AC/DC machine.
JB

Attachments

• DSCN6777.JPG
    DSCN6777.JPG
    972.5 KB · Views: 340
   / Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #23  
I would never trust leather gloves to be insulators....

Back when I was working as a Journeyman Lineman, our dry leather gloves were good to work up to 300 volts with. Emphasis on the "dry"! There were a few times when I had to get out the 10 Kv rated rubber ones when my leather ones were soaked from rain, etc. I can't recall ever getting a bite wearing sweat soaked gloves though, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. My second point of contact (needed to complete the circuit, eh) must have been a high enough resistance to prevent the shock.

I found this post in a thread about home made welding electrodes over in The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS - Powered by vBulletin and with thanks to radkins, I'd like to post it here. Have a look-see about what GE had to say about wearing welding gloves. Times have sure changed, eh?
radkins said:
I once saw an old (1926 IIRC) General Electric welding manual and that's the first time I heard of doing that, I have seen the same thing several times since. It instructed the welder (weldor) to "cut pieces of wire from the roll about 18" long and straighten them", never said anything about dipping them in lime or anything else.

The "Welding Safety" section in that little handbook was a riot! :) It's amazing how our attitudes about safety have changed over the years, one little gem was about gloves,

"If gloves are worn when welding they should be of leather so as not to burn but a great many weldors prefer not to wear gloves for the dexterity that provides" It goes on to warn that the arms and face should be covered and the weldor should never go shirtless to prevent scalding, however the hands seem not to be so affected"
In that same thread this pic was posted of a welder in an African country. He at least has goggles of some sort but apparently it's not uncommon to just use sunglasses or a heavy duty squint! :eek:
image_shows_one_of_the_welding_beneficiary_concentrate_on_his_job_Large.jpg

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #24  
pic was posted of a welder in an African country. He at least has goggles of some sort but apparently it's not uncommon to just use sunglasses or a heavy duty squint! :eek:

FLIP FLOPS on his FEET :eek:

jb

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #25  
In that same thread this pic was posted of a welder in an African country. He at least has goggles of some sort but apparently it's not uncommon to just use sunglasses or a heavy duty squint! :eek:

that is actually a fairly advanced set up for an african welder, he has a factory made welder, and goggles. Often you see them using a home made transformer welder, and closing there eyes.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #26  
I have a friend who welds with a couple car batteries. Of course, he welds DC only.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #27  
ever see a construction worker welding outside in the rain?

sure... it happens all the time, but not one of them is using alternating current.;)

Around here there is an old saying, "It will clear up, clear up to your azz"!:laughing:

Attachments

• 2hands2.jpg
    2hands2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 467
   / Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #28  
Around here there is an old saying, "It will clear up, clear up to your azz"!:laughing:

"shut up and weld";)

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #30  
Yeah, have you watched any one using a cutting- torch without any eye-protection? I was on a Gov project once and the iron workers used sunglasses while burning their rods to length...Aviator design to look cool, while going blind. I always wanted a #10 glass for protection. Shut up and weld?? Well here goes...