Old table saw table used as a welding table

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #1  

wstf2

I have a neighbor who will give me an older yet defunct Dewalt table saw that I can remove the burnt out motor and wood working attachments and use as a welding table. Being a novice welder, will this work or should I pass it off? I already have a serviceable table saw so I don't need the donated deck unless it will serve me as a welding work platform for my Hobart 210 MVP.

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #2  
If it's a decent sized flat all cast top from a stationary saw it'd make a great welding table. I'd pass on a aluminum portable saw top.

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #3  
if it is a portable saw with any plastic on it, I would pass. If it is all steel/cast iron, it could make a good welding table, although you couldnt weld anything onto it.

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table
if it is a portable saw with any plastic on it, I would pass. If it is all steel/cast iron, it could make a good welding table, although you couldnt weld anything onto it.
It's all steel with a cast iron top. I understand the welding to cast iron senerio but the price is right. Thanks.

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #5  
Depending on the model, you may wish to sell it. Is it a cabinet saw or a contractor saw? The cabinet saws are worth quite a bit.

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #6  
Depending on the model, you may wish to sell it. Is it a cabinet saw or a contractor saw? The cabinet saws are worth quite a bit.

If I gave somebody a table because they needed it and then turned around and sold it for a profit I prob wouldnt be to happy about that. Just sayin

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #7  
Sounded like it was his for the taking to get rid of it and the donor didn't care what he did with it, but thats just my reading. I'm just saying its a crying shame to ruin a good saw if the only thing wrong is the motor, especially if its a dewalt cabinet saw. If I gave my neighbour an old saw like that, and he fixed it up and sold it, I'd be happy someone gave it some love and someone else will get some use out of it!

If I gave somebody a table because they needed it and then turned around and sold it for a profit I prob wouldnt be to happy about that. Just sayin

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table
It's a legged contractor's model, missing the fence, extension bars and wheel cranks. First time I looked at it was this morning, it's now in my shop.

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #9  
That's not a table saw, that's a welding table! :thumbsup:

/ Old table saw table used as a welding table #10  
Nearly every welding project I've ever done at some point I wanted to clamp or tack material to the table.

Wood working equipment is the world's worst for clamping anything to the table, even drill presses where a good percent of work should be clamped.

But, on the plus side you have a good flat surface on a stand about the correct height. Now if you would like to make it bigger and better, keep an eye out for a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch plate that would extend on each side 3 or 4 inches and fasten it down with 4 counter sunk stove bolts. Add an angle iron to one edge for round stock and possible a Wilton:D vise on a corner.

If it seems to be a little top heavy add a concrete shelf a couple of inches or so thick down low for ballast. You'll need a shelf down there anyway to stack stuff on.