new rods

/ new rods #1  

Whatswrong

Gold Member
Tractor
B434 ,V 700 and 1086
Just bought some new rods where I buy "STUFF" ,Messer 80t s sure hope I get to like them ,they weren't magic to start with but at $3.70 a pound I sure hope I can learn to use them well and enjoy them. Most reports seem positive.

/ new rods #2  
At that price, they should come with their own welding machine. I get my 7018 for anywhere from $1.25 to 1.50 per pound depending on size but that is in 50 cans not buying a pound at a time. 6010 and 7018 work for any welding on mild steel. Any alloy work I need to do which is almost nil, I suppose I could justify buying just one pound. I just got the price on the Durafix aluminum brazing rod is $44.95 per pound which includes shipping. Some day I may spring for some of that but there is just no way I would pay almost $4 a pound for mild steel electrodes. I buy the 7018 and store them in a rod oven that keeps them at 300F constantly. Sure it burns some electricity but my shop electricity doesnt use up the minimum charge so I dont feel that I am actually losing anything in the deal and I keep my rods properly stored so they are always fresh and dry. I just lay the box of 6010 on top of the rod oven and they stay pleasantly warm without overheating.