Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #1  

RealJimbo

Bronze Member
My skills:
I used to do a fair amount of oxy/ace welding. For what ever reason I never tried/learned any type of electric welding.

My needs (I think):
Recntly I have paid a long time welder to do some jobs for me. Even if I had a great unit here today, I would still pay that guy for welding on my boiler. But . . . I can't keep paying him for fab work on 3-pt hitch implements.

So I need to be able to weld up to 1" stuff. But I also need to be able to do fab work on my boiler's skins (1/8") and I'd like to be able to do exhaust work. Back in the day, exhaust work was always ocy-cetelene, but I think thats changed today.

My thoughts:
Though MIG sounds like its the easiest to learn, Stick is probably the best for heavy implements? TIG sounds like the hardest to learn, but maybe its the best for sheet metal and exhust work?? Am I going to get a compromised unit by getting TIG capability on a stick welder, especially if I never get the hang of TIG?

So I'm thinking about a Stick/Tig unit. But what do the guys who actually know something about welding think?

Jimbo

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #2  
After reading your post, I would say buy a 300 amp Stick Tig unit as well. You can always add a regular or voltage sensing wire feeder down the road. It all comes down to cost. You are looking at a couple grand for a new pkg. I do see some good used 300 and 400 amp units out there for under a grand. Another option is an engine drive welder. Choices are many and everyone on here will have a different idea of what you need. I have been blessed to have every type of welder out there and I use them all from 115v Stick - 400 amp Twin Pulse. Good luck with what ever you get. You will enjoy it to the fullest.

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #3  
I'm not an expert but generally the combo units cut corners and if one process goes down it might put them all out of action.

A plasma cutter may also be an option even though you are experienced with O/A. They are quite the luxury.

Just to help out in the expert's responses - what is your budget? Will you use the welder occasionally or is it a more regular thing? Are there specific projects to be done and then just maintenance from then on?

Trying to learn the new process(es) by yourself will be quite a challenge. Maybe enroll in a local community college class to see what you like to do and how to do it. The boiler weldor might be able to give you some tips on his next trip out - and he has the equipment to demonstrate.

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #4  
Mig does so many things so well I hate to see someone write it out of their plans. Why not look for a used Lincoln DC-250 and LN7 wire feeder combo, I paid about 3K for this setup new in the early 90's and I would buy the same thing again today. Does stick, Mig and and scratch start TIG.
Yup it costs more than a good stick welder , but it does so much more and stick too.

Ray

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #5  
Lincoln DC-250 and LN7 wire feeder combo

ptgdigger you have any pictures of that setup? I think the last LN-7 I ran was in the early 1980's.
But not sure what a Lincoln DC-250 looks like.:confused:

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #6  
RealJimbo said:
So I need to be able to weld up to 1" stuff.
Jimbo

I can't remember the last time that I had to fool with one inch material. Be sure you're not over-buying.
Mike

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #7  
Im definitely no expert, but what i have found to be most useful for myself is a 225 amp ac/dc reverse polarity stick welder unit for the heavy stuff, and my 120 volt mig welder for the lighter stuff around my place.

I live on acreage and have alot of steel panels for the horses. I like the ability to move my 120 volt machine to do the small jobs. The stick would burn right thru a horse panel. The gas mig does a wonderful repair job. I would love to someday have a 220 volt mig unit also, but cant justify that purchase right now.

The new Hobart unit my neighbor has is a wonder... does thin and thick metals, but nearly $2,500.... not right now.

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #8  
You want plasma too. Go with a combo unit. Our sponser has some nice ones.. :thumbsup:

And I agree with Mike about the 1" welding. I don't see any of that in my future..
Did I just give welding advice?? The internet is truly scarey.

/ Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #9  
   / Seeking advice on a 1-time Welder purchase #10  
something like a miller dialarc 250 or lincoln idealarc 250 might be good for you.