Propane torch question

/ Propane torch question #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
This would be used for cutting and heating to bend metal mainly 3/8" and down in size. I have a set of oxy/Acet guages and torch. Can the Acet guage be adapted to fit the propane? If so what adapter/where to buy? From what I have read the tip needs to be changed too?
Would I be money ahead to just buy a complete propane torch setup?
Opinins?
My reasoning behind going propane is the ease of refueling the propane cylinders where our property is located, its 50 plus miles to nearest welding shop to get acetylene and on weekends they are closed, which is when I am there to work.

/ Propane torch question #2  
This would be used for cutting and heating to bend metal mainly 3/8" and down in size. I have a set of oxy/Acet guages and torch. Can the Acet guage be adapted to fit the propane? If so what adapter/where to buy? From what I have read the tip needs to be changed too?
Opinins?
My reasoning behind going propane is the ease of refueling the propane cylinders where our property is located, its 50 plus miles to nearest welding shop to get acetylene and on weekends they are closed, which is when I am there to work.

Hmm, ive never seen this done before, but me personally,... Id never mess with anything associated with acetylene myself. Id just leave it alone. I installed a set of blow back prevention devices on my torches after viewing some video of explosions from these tanks.

Id be afraid youd forget and reuse the modified torches on an acetylene tank, and we would next see you orbiting the moon.
Oxy-Acetylene Cylinder explosion in a van - YouTube

http://thechive.com/2009/12/14/plumber-explodes-van/

/ Propane torch question #3  
Opinins?

The Acetylene Regulator will screw right onto your propane tank. Yes you can use it but your delivery gauge only reads 15psi output. Normally that is fine unless you run large rosebud heating tips. ( which you say you wont ) I would say that you should get a Grade T Hose. The old style Grade R will breakdown using Propane and other Alternate Fuels and the rubber particles will get in your regulator and cause problems. People have been doing this for ever. The only problem is that some folks change the output gauge to go from 0- 30 psi to use as an all purpose propane Regulator. Next they put it on an Acetylene tank and crank it up to 30 and they blow a big hole in the ground. Enjoy the Propane, It cuts great, costs less and is much safer than Acetylene.

/ Propane torch question #4  
The Acetylene Regulator will screw right onto your propane tank. Yes you can use it but your delivery gauge only reads 15psi output. Normally that is fine unless you run large rosebud heating tips. ( which you say you wont ) I would say that you should get a Grade T Hose. The old style Grade R will breakdown using Propane and other Alternate Fuels and the rubber particles will get in your regulator and cause problems. People have been doing this for ever. The only problem is that some folks change the output gauge to go from 0- 30 psi to use as an all purpose propane Regulator. Next they put it on an Acetylene tank and crank it up to 30 and they blow a big hole in the ground. Enjoy the Propane, It cuts great, costs less and is much safer than Acetylene.

Definatly must buy a Propane Cutting Tip for your torch. Don't light the Acetylene one.. If you have Brazing Tips, They will not work, Don't even try them. Use your cutting attachment to heat if you don't have a heating tip. Depending on what brand torch you have, There is a heating tip that screws on your Cutting Attachment for large heating projects. Like I said, Depends on what brand torch you have.

/ Propane torch question
Last night on the net I found a Victor propane complete kit for about 250.00, had brazing tips and other tips,T rated hose

The torch I have now is a Victor setup.

/ Propane torch question #6  
all you really need is a lp tip and t rated hose. its sure cheap to go o2/pro!

/ Propane torch question #7  
Never liked propane for torch work myself.

May I ask what size oxy/Acet bottles you have now and what sort of work have you used them for ?

Are small propane tips even possible ?, parts guy at work says no.
Darn thing feels like a felt tipped marker trying to do a pencil job.

/ Propane torch question #8  
I was thinking of converting to propane, more because I cant use a very big cutting tip or a rose bud with my b size tank, then cost. Then I thought, the work I do doesnt need much if any torch cutting, I can do it all with the porta band and 7" grinder, and I hardly ever need to do large heating. I insted decided to demote my o/a rig to brazing and gas welding dutys, and leave my smiths aircraft torch handle on there all the time. And as far as heating goes, I am thinking of trying to make a twin carbon arc torch. So basicaly the question is, do you have any cutting that must be done with a torch, and do you have any heating too big for a twin carbon arc torch. (and if you have a stick welder)

/ Propane torch question #9  
Last night on the net I found a Victor propane complete kit for about 250.00, had brazing tips and other tips,T rated hose

The torch I have now is a Victor setup.

You are good to go. Buy a Propane cutting tip and Grade T hose and you are converted. If you can tell me what the kit name was for $250.00 I can give more details on it.

/ Propane torch question #10  
pound for pound, propane produces more BTU's than acetylene. Since it is so much lighter, you need more volume, hence the different tip requirement. When using propane or MAPP gas, I like the 2 piece cutting tips as they are easy to clean the preheat tips with just a wire brush. It does seem to take a bit longer to preheat the metal before starting the cut, but other than that, I dont find a lot of difference in the 2. Some folks also say you get more slag with propane than acetylene.