Cast Iron Repair

/ Cast Iron Repair #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
brcisna thread on "cast iron welding review" got me to thinking, I don't think I've posted this here on this site. This is information I've gathered from books, and personal experience. Just thought it might help someone.;)

First off there are six different types of cast iron so you need to know the type of cast iron you are dealing with. Manifolds and cylinder heads are Gray cast iron. If preheating can be used, the preheat temperature for shielded arc welding (stick) should be held between 500-degrees and 1200-degrees. When oxyacetylene welding you should preheat between 900-degrees and 1200-degrees. You should never let the object being repaired get over 1450-degrees. Maybe think about making a jig. I suggest you take a piece of flat bar and match drill the holes of the manifold, then bolt the manifold to the flat bar, prep the crack for welding. Take a weed burner and preheat the manifold uniformly as possible. Make your repairs, then place the manifold in your kitchen oven at 500-degrees for 24-hours. I would purchase the proper temp sticks from your local welding supply.

Nickel 99 can be cut, drilled, milled, and ground. Ni-55 can be ground. The low nickel rod can't be even ground.

Ni-44 for Tig rod

Certanium 889, (stick)

Crown Alloys 255 (stick)

Lincoln Softweld 55 (stick)

Harris / Welco 65 (stick)

Ni-55 (stick)

Attachments

• Metals How to Weld.jpg
    Metals How to Weld.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 401
   / Cast Iron Repair #2  
Some of the cast material may be burned out and or used up beyond repair. Stick has always been the mainstay but I am a Spray Powder guy. I have sold tons of Ni Rod from 55%-99% including actual German recipies and Synthetic Ni rods and also Ni Free rods. The Wonder Rods like Super Missel Rod and MG 600 ( which are juist 312 Stainless ) Still, I think the "easiest" way to repair cast is still with Spray Powder. I have repaired anitque engine blocks, Clutch Pedals, Corvette Manifolds,Ring Gears, Shives, Splined Shafts etc. Plus, You can Hard surface with Spray Powder too. Lawn Mower Blades, Knives, Digger teeth etc. Just an option. You can however save big on plain Ni Rod if it is a small repair. Spray powder is easier but costs $300.00 to get started..

/ Cast Iron Repair
Spray powder ???????????????? I know its early, but I don't think I've ever heard the term. Got any pictures?
Years ago on a job I ran a lot of Super Missile rod on cast steel repair. Also had good luck with plain ol 7018 on cast steel repairs.

I saved this from another site.

"I do a lot of cast iron repairs with 100% success so far. Last year, after several months of research, I found information on a couple websites & mostly in an old Lincoln Welding book. The process is called "Cold Welding Cast Iron With MIG". I practiced several weeks on broken cast iron parts & broken/cracked manifolds my bro' gave me to get my technique down pat. It has worked with superb results.

I use MIG, 309/309L .030 wire, 98/2(AR/CO2) @15cfh & generally in the 80A range. You can use any gas with a mix of no more than 5% CO2 (ex:95/5). The 309 wire has a carbon content of .01 & works best. The idea is to keep the temperature cool by running short beads <1" & allowing the joint to cool before continuing. After running the short bead, you can take your glove off & lay your hand on the metal & will feel only warm to the touch. Since your pieces are not large, I would suggest shorter 1/2" beads & allow each weld to cool back to room temp before continuing".

/ Cast Iron Repair #4  
Spray powder ???????????????? I know its early, but I don't think I've ever heard the term. Got any pictures?
Years ago on a job I ran a lot of Super Missile rod on cast steel repair. Also had good luck with plain ol 7018 on cast steel repairs.

I saved this from another site.

"I do a lot of cast iron repairs with 100% success so far. Last year, after several months of research, I found information on a couple websites & mostly in an old Lincoln Welding book. The process is called "Cold Welding Cast Iron With MIG". I practiced several weeks on broken cast iron parts & broken/cracked manifolds my bro' gave me to get my technique down pat. It has worked with superb results.

I use MIG, 309/309L .030 wire, 98/2(AR/CO2) @15cfh & generally in the 80A range. You can use any gas with a mix of no more than 5% CO2 (ex:95/5). The 309 wire has a carbon content of .01 & works best. The idea is to keep the temperature cool by running short beads <1" & allowing the joint to cool before continuing. After running the short bead, you can take your glove off & lay your hand on the metal & will feel only warm to the touch. Since your pieces are not large, I would suggest shorter 1/2" beads & allow each weld to cool back to room temp before continuing".

Spray powder is pretty cool and so very easy. The cast never gets that Voltage blast from welding. I'm not where I can send pics but you can look up Stoody or Victor spray powder torch. Uses Oxy / Acet only. Powder comes in several different Rc's For cast repair it is a Ni / Iron powder so fine it floats in the air like smoke. As it passes through the torch flame it becomes liquid. Pre heat the part until you see color and then just press the lever like you are cutting and the powder fills in cracks, holes, Bearing surfaces. It's really called Hot Spray. There is also a Cold spray process that goes on under 800 degrees.

/ Cast Iron Repair #5  
Spray powder is pretty cool and so very easy. The cast never gets that Voltage blast from welding. I'm not where I can send pics but you can look up Stoody or Victor spray powder torch. Uses Oxy / Acet only. Powder comes in several different Rc's For cast repair it is a Ni / Iron powder so fine it floats in the air like smoke. As it passes through the torch flame it becomes liquid. Pre heat the part until you see color and then just press the lever like you are cutting and the powder fills in cracks, holes, Bearing surfaces. It's really called Hot Spray. There is also a Cold spray process that goes on under 800 degrees.

Does the spray powder have strength to it or is it just a filler. I don't see how it could have much strength with out penetration. On things like an exhaust manifold I could see it working ok since there is no stress. But like on somthing like a transmission case I dont see how you could make the repair as strong as needed.
Bill

/ Cast Iron Repair #6  
Does the spray powder have strength to it or is it just a filler. I don't see how it could have much strength with out penetration. On things like an exhaust manifold I could see it working ok since there is no stress. But like on somthing like a transmission case I dont see how you could make the repair as strong as needed.
Bill

Ususlly Spray Powder is used to repair a Crack. You vee it out and drill a hole at both ends. Heat and fill. Yes it's strong. It's Nickel,Iron same as a Ni Stick Rod. I have sprayed tractor clutch pedals back together, Old Cast Tractor Engine blocks, Bolt Eyes on some non stressed cases or machine bases. This is why people buy the kits. Check with your local Welding Supply Distributor and ask when they will be having an open house or vendor day. Ask them to have Spray Powder there and they would be glad to show it. Here is a weird one..Take lawn mower blades and sharpen them. Flip over and run a thin layer of Hard Surface Spray Powder on the back side and If you don't hit Rocks or large Sticks. You never have to sharpen them again. The grass actually sharpens the blades.

/ Cast Iron Repair #7  
How much is one of these spray powder rigs? And would a b size acct tank run one?

/ Cast Iron Repair #8  
I see the Victor and Stoody ones sold at shows for about $250.00. You get 2 bottles of powder and 3 sizes of tips. One is a multiflame for large area coverage. There are lessor quality brands out there but Stoody makes most of the powders. B tanks are ok, It's the oxygen you have to worry about. If it's a 20cf you wont get a lot done but compare usage to brazing. The reason the Victor/Stoody one is so expensive is that they make you buy the Handle with the kit. Some already have a Victor handle. It's just a cool fun and easy way to do build up, Fix cast iron and do light hard surfacing. Make sure to ask your distributor to show you..I assure you that you will enjoy running it and think of many uses. I just fix'd a couple teeth on an ATV rear end ring gear. Saved $165.00..

/ Cast Iron Repair #9  
I see the Victor and Stoody ones sold at shows for about $250.00. You get 2 bottles of powder and 3 sizes of tips. One is a multiflame for large area coverage. There are lessor quality brands out there but Stoody makes most of the powders. B tanks are ok, It's the oxygen you have to worry about. If it's a 20cf you wont get a lot done but compare usage to brazing. The reason the Victor/Stoody one is so expensive is that they make you buy the Handle with the kit. Some already have a Victor handle. It's just a cool fun and easy way to do build up, Fix cast iron and do light hard surfacing. Make sure to ask your distributor to show you..I assure you that you will enjoy running it and think of many uses. I just fix'd a couple teeth on an ATV rear end ring gear. Saved $165.00..

I think my o2 tank is around 44 cf, so it probably would be fine. The victor handle would not be a problem, I have an air liquide blueshield handle, and a smiths aircraft torch handle. Besides it would be kind of nice to have a victor handle as well. (blueshield tips are quite overpriced) I guess I will have to look at them, it would be really usefull at times.