cobalt drill bits - central maine area

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #11  
   / cobalt drill bits - central maine area #12  
<snip>

For the life of me, I never could figure out why anyone would use (or attempt to use old bed frames (which have to be the cheapest form of angle steel ever made) to make anything except a trip to the scrap yard. That stuff is crap.

Because I keep finding them on the side of the road on Trashday morning, going to work, and I can fit them in my car. And something inside me can't resist trash picking, bin diving and getting some "steel" on the cheap. Have you priced angle iron lately? I have - I won't pay! Just joking, mostly. It would probably be apt to adopt a crow as my avatar. No bird of prey for me - no soaring with eagles here - a glossy black scavenger is plenty lofty for this bird, thank you very much.

It's hard steel, and I suspect it's dirty steel, but I have made some very sturdy "things" out of it. It's best worked with a torch, cutting to shape & hot punching holes with a drift & die plate rather than sawing & drilling. If you must weld it, then use 6010, the hotter the better. This gives your project a somewhat "knocked together" look. It's an acquired aesthetic.

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #13  
i guess it's officially time to stop making any posts trying to offer useful information on this site. the contrarian population will try to nullify anything said. the purpose was only to tell anyone in the local area that there were some decent drill bits for sale at pretty reasonably prices. i never realized that telling someone that there was something for sale would cause a debate.

Please don't stop, We appreciate all the inside scoops....:thumbsup:

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #14  
A few days ago, the wife tossed an old angle steel bed frame and the scrouge in me wanted to do something with it (not that I don't have 20 ton or so of structural around) all the time for the shop, so, I took a rail and tried to saw it with a hack saw..... no luck. Tried to drill it (with an M42 Cobalt Parabolic flute drill) by the way....no luck. I did manage to BREAK a piece off in the vise with a stillson as a lever. That stuff has a Rockwell in the high 80's....

Been sleeping on a tool steel bed frame for years. We now have a Tempur-Pedic and no farame at all.

Put ir on the curb and it was gone in a half hour. Obviously there are some other 'scroungers' in the neighborhood.

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #15  
It's good for plasma practice..

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #16  
Wish I was close enough, I'd pick up plenty of them that get used the most.

As for bed frames, love the stuff. Anything that gives me the excuess to show it whos the man with the plasma cutter and welder.

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #17  
I wish I had a source of good inexpensive drill bits....the HF stuff, the gold ones, are hit or miss, the larger sizes actually hold up pretty well the smaller ones are junk.

Bed frame steel- never forget my first encounter with that stuff back when I had not yet acquired decent metal working tools.
Still hate the stuff but like some just can't bring myself to throw it out:laughing:

/ cobalt drill bits - central maine area #18  
I wish I had a source of good inexpensive drill bits....the HF stuff, the gold ones, are hit or miss, the larger sizes actually hold up pretty well the smaller ones are junk.

Bed frame steel- never forget my first encounter with that stuff back when I had not yet acquired decent metal working tools.
Still hate the stuff but like some just can't bring myself to throw it out:laughing:

Garage sales and Craigslist.

I always pick up dull bits at garage sales. Most people discard drills when dull or the ends are roasted. Picked up a full set of fractional drills (Cleveland Twist) in the index for 5 bucks last week. A couple were shot (for the seller). None were shot (for me).

So long as you have the ability to offhand sharpen, any bit of useable length is a good bit.

I run mine until too short and then scrap 'em.